Meds Me Mum bought me

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Restless Dragon

Meds Me Mum bought me

Post by Restless Dragon »

Hi all. Ok, doesn't Restless Leg (I call it Resltess BODY) come to interfere with every aspect of life. I haven't worked in years, but the government denied me help tho I use a cooking pot to beat my own legs black and blue. Of course my family members watch this and hate the suffering. My Mum just went out and brought me some meds I haven't tried before. Brand name is Hyland's. Active ingredients: accontium napellus # cinchona officinals # gnaphaluim polycephluam # ledum palustre # magnesia phosphorica # rhius toxicondendron # viscum album Now, I also do not sleep well. I've noticed a real aggravation in the Restless Body if I take anything for the Insomnia that has diphenhydramines. Anyone out the wish to weigh in on this? Has anyone tried this brand and had success?? Thanks -Restless

Rustsmith

Re: Meds Me Mum bought me

Post by Rustsmith »

Almost everyone that I have heard of that tried Hylands reported that it didn't do anything. But since you have it, it won't hurt to try. Maybe you will be the lucky one and be an exception.

And as far as diphenhydramine, yes it is a well documented major trigger for RLS that we have to stay away from, even though it gets put into all sorts of OTC sleep aids and cold medicines.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

diphenhydramine is an antihistamine and might be expected to make you sleepy. However antihistamines are not good for RLS especially the older type.

My GP prescribed me an antihistamine (can't recall which one) to aid sleep and I said no for a long time. In the end I tried it to placate him and get him off my back about it. I was afraid of it worsening my rls symptoms. As it happened it didn't seem to worsen my symptoms (we are all different) but neither did it help as a sleep aid and I stopped taking it.

I have heard of Hyland's but haven't tried it, though I have tried many other over the counter medications and none of them gave any benefit.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Restless Dragon

I haven't tried it yet but if jerking and twitching and pain gets aggravating enough I will. As reported, I cut back on coffee and that helped a lot. Also been sticking to Valerian and Melatonin for sleep. Haven't had to pull out the cooking pot for a while to crack the legs, which most would say is an improvement. Super aggravating that people see me out walking and doing stuff, so they automatically assume Restless symptoms can't be that bad if 'm out and about .... they don't see me being up until all hours

Restless Dragon

Tried the Hyland's last night, all. I could tell by 1pm or so that my legs were going to give me trouble. I took the Hyland's med at 4:30 pm or so. There was some mild relief. I can see that for many, the relief may be negligible. If it were a bad RLS episode for me, the Hyland's wouldn't have touched the symptoms. I think that good exercise, watching the coffee and sugar, and REALLY watching and being mindful of my stress levels helps the RLS a LOT. It helps more than any OTC RLS meds anyways. I also really get the impression, from trying the Hyland's once, that my RLS would also get used to it and the meds wouldn't be effective. So, to recap and sum up: for me, the Hyland's is, to start with, a mild ally in dealing with RLS. I wouldn't turn to it for solid reliable dependable day-to-day relief from RLS symptoms tho. Woke up a few times last night with the jerking and pulling and cramping. Just my own personal assessment - Peace out all - Restless

pab628

Post by pab628 »

How much Valerian Root do you take?

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

pab628, since the last post on this thread was almost 3 yrs ago, it is very unlikely that Restless Dragon will see it. I checked and Restless hasn't been around for about 18 months.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pab628

Post by pab628 »

Thank you Rustsmith.