Changing my diet may have solved my RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Rustsmith

Re: Changing my diet may have solved my RLS

Post by Rustsmith »

I am not aware of a "great debate" on the subject. Iron is poorly adsorbed under the best of conditions. Apparently some doctors think that every other day helps. Either way, it is a very slow proposition at best as it can take months to increase your ferritin levels through the use of oral iron supplements.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

suttmes69xx wrote:Thanks so much for clarifying that, Rustsmith. I wonder why my PC insists that the best way to absorb the most iron is to take it every other day. Are their different expert opinions on this?

I've learned that none of us are immune to incorrect info. Even those who would seem science-based, such as doctors. I went to a doctor two years ago who was SURE I would be at a HUGE risk for horrible things if I had an iron infusion. Yeah, 20 years ago I might have been, but not with today's methods! And she was only in her late 30's - it amazed me that she was that behind in this. Now, she was a neuro, but, the way she talked about it, she really had reviewed the info about infusions, so she should have understood that it wasn't nearly as dangerous.

I usually try to review multiple sources - and studies if I can - to see about things.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I am on a paleo diet, but can eat dairy as that does not impact my WED at all. Since 2011, I've been on an immaculate diet and I'm proud to say, that some days I decide not to do raw vegetables, but most days I do them. My severe RLS got better with hypnosis, which I did for other things, but I would not recommend this for everyone. Since I have more stress in my life now due to chronic pain, the WED is worse. I no longer do the hypnosis.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I wonder why my PC insists that the best way to absorb the most iron is to take it every other day. Are their different expert opinions on this?
Yes, there are, of course. Your PC is going by the theory I mentioned earlier,
If iron isn't absorbed unless your blood levels are low, how does taking iron everey day help?
The theory is that iron levels (and perhaps ferritin levels) get depleted as time goes on, even over the course of a day. Taking the entire dose once a day is therefore, according to this idea, better than 3 times a day, and not as good as taking two doses all at once every two days.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Well that theory certainly does not work for me, BUT I suspect it's because the iron all at once impacts my digestion. What did work for a while was eating some type of liver or beef heart every day lunch and dinner. I slept like a baby for 8 hours a night and without any meds at all. It was like a cure. Unfortunately, my doctor was not happy with my cholesterol level so I had to quit that route.

suttmes69xx

Post by suttmes69xx »

Interesting. I find that if I eat too much red meat for dinner, it really sets off my RLS at bedtime. That makes no sense to me at all.
Shelly

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut1 wrote:Well that theory certainly does not work for me, BUT I suspect it's because the iron all at once impacts my digestion. What did work for a while was eating some type of liver or beef heart every day lunch and dinner. I slept like a baby for 8 hours a night and without any meds at all. It was like a cure. Unfortunately, my doctor was not happy with my cholesterol level so I had to quit that route.

For most of us, the food we eat doesn't raise cholesterol more than about 10-15 percent above what our bodies produce and may not end up being that much of a problem. If you get that much relief, it seems to me that this might be worth doing!

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why- ... l-in-food/

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/di ... not-matter
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS