Changing my diet may have solved my RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS/WED, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
legsbestill

Re: Changing my diet may have solved my RLS

Postby legsbestill » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 pm

I heard from someone who was in contact with Dr. B. recently that he said there is now some research (unfortunately he didn’t give details) to suggest that people who have augmented on a d/a are less likely to respond well to the anti-convulsants. That seems to suggest that augmentation has some sort of permanent or semi-permanent impact. By coincidence, Julie who takes Kratom (can’t remember her exact username) posted very recently that she has noticed that Kratom seems to be less effective for people who have augmented -an observation based purely on anecdotal evidence of course but still ...

badnights

Re: Changing my diet may have solved my RLS

Postby badnights » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:21 am

Sorry Oooz didn't see your post til now
but it's as Ann said: The literature said you would go back to your old level of symptoms once the augmentation and withdrawal wore off, but a number of us were convinced that was not the case, that in fact there was a long-term or perhaps permanent worsening.

I am only now seeing possible evidence that the long-term worsening was not permanent, and is in fact slowly wearing off. almost 10 years after augmenting.

And true, not only Dr B but Drs Early and Allen at Johns Hopkins have said informally (I think in one of the webinars) that augmentation causes long-term damage and DAs should perhaps be avoided.

However, the clearest truth of all is that everyone reacts differently to this stuff so you cannot predict that your symptoms will be worse for 10 years just because mine and Ann's were. There are others who went back to baseline without any worsening. So it's different for everyone. ALso - you've only used DAs intermittently.
Beth - Wishing you all restful sleep tonight
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6532&p=61601#p61601
Discussion Board Moderator's posts don't reflect the RLS Foundation's opinion & are not medical advice

Return to “Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, Diet”