Ferriton levels/supplements

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Enigmaman

Ferriton levels/supplements

Post by Enigmaman »

I am sure this topic has been discussed plenty before - so I understand ferritin levels are key to controlling RLS/PLM.

Any tips on what supplenents to take?

stjohnh

Re: Ferriton levels/supplements

Post by stjohnh »

By far the least expensive and readily available is to take is to take one tablet of ferrous sulfate daily and a vitamin C. Preferably on an empty stomach. Should be taken at least one hour and preferably two hours separated from any other medicines as ferrous sulfate interacts with many tablets in your stomach.
Blessings,
Holland

badnights

Re: Ferriton levels/supplements

Post by badnights »

If possible, get a lab measure of serum (b lood) ferritin, before and a few months after starting the ferrous sulfate. (Ferrous fumarate is also as good.) Then you can tell how well it's working. If your ferritin is not raising enough, you can try 2 pills.

But you should make sure there are no contra-indications to taking iron, for you. eg. you're not on thyroid meds.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.