Vitamin levels that I need to check

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Enigmaman

Vitamin levels that I need to check

Post by Enigmaman »

I am visiting the doctor this week looking to check what my vitamin status is with the aim of treating my PLM.

I understand I need:

- Ferritin level up to 100

- Vitamin D, Magnesium and B12 at satisfactory levels

Is there anything else that should be checked, Vitamin and Mineral-wise?

If levels of any of these are low, how would I boost them? Diet and supplements alone? Or are injections necessary?

stjohnh

Re: Vitamin levels that I need to check

Post by stjohnh »

If the ferritin is low you should take ferrous sulfate 325 mg daily with 500 mg of vitamin C on an empty stomach to help get it up. If you can't get it up then an intravenous infusion may help.

Magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin B12 can usually be taken with oral tablets, occasionally vitamin B12 will need injections, but that's relatively rare.
Blessings,
Holland

Enigmaman

Re: Vitamin levels that I need to check

Post by Enigmaman »

stjohnh wrote:If the ferritin is low you should take ferrous sulfate 325 mg daily with 500 mg of vitamin C on an empty stomach to help get it up. If you can't get it up then an intravenous infusion may help.

Magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin B12 can usually be taken with oral tablets, occasionally vitamin B12 will need injections, but that's relatively rare.

Thankyou.