Calm Legs

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
2BassetMom

Calm Legs

Post by 2BassetMom »

I was looking through the notes from my visit to Scripps and found Calm Legs written at the top of a page. I remember my doctor mentioning this-over-the counter pill and that it might help. I had forgotten all about it until today. So my question is; has anyone tried this? I plan to pick up a bottle tomorrow. It's sold on Amazon for $19.99 but I thought I would check out a natural food store that has a good supplement section.

Rustsmith

Re: Calm Legs

Post by Rustsmith »

It took a bit of digging, but I finally found the ingredients in Calm Legs. It has a small amount of iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Folic Acid, Magnesium, Vitamin B-12 and Valerian. Might help if you are deficient in one of these (except that 8mg of iron isn't going to do much), but certainly not something that is going to work all by itself for those of us with severe RLS.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Post by yawny »

2BassetMom (do you have basset hounds? cutest dogs!),
I tried this product early on when symptoms first started and it did nothing for me. Interesting ingredients that Steve found and listed. I tried large amounts of Vit E and that worked for awhile but only during the time that my symptoms were ramping up and it was mostly deep aching RLS. I’ve read online that Vit E helps RLS symptoms for some people. I moved on to Magnesium and Iron which did help/has helped immensely but then my symptoms changed and I had to add in prescribed medications. I’m wary of taking folic acid in anything after learning about the MTHFR mutation. Some top doctors believe that folic acid, if not methylated, just floats around the body of a person with this mutation and causes illness. Valerian (500 mg) has really helped me and I’ve read that it helps others with insomnia and RLS/PLMs. I’ve only taken it when I have breakthrough symptoms in the middle of the night and most times it’s enough to put me back to sleep until morning. It’s fractured sleep at that point but there’s dreaming and a more reasonable wake up time because of it. I have several family members who struggle with insomnia who successfully use Valerian.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

The Calm Legs helped me before my RLS got so bad. Now it doesn't. But it's good and has no side effects.

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

I'll try Calm Legs if I can find it. I was hoping to just pick some up but the 3 stores I checked in were out. My local pharmacy can probably order it in. (yes, Yawny, I we have 2 basset hounds, Maggie & Matilda. The funniest dogs ever!)