CBD oil

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
veldon75

CBD oil

Post by veldon75 »

I just bought some CBD oil because I heard it would work for RLS, does anyone have experience with it and know how much I would take. I tried several droppers over the night but still had to take my Mirdpex I just felt tired

Polar Bear

Re: CBD oil

Post by Polar Bear »

i haven't used the CBD oil.

I did a google search and it appears to be that the Preparations are made in varied concentrations, so to speak of ' drops' doesn't tell what dose, or how many mgs you took. Is there an advice leaflet in your packaging, does it tell how to measure your CBD oil intake. Or can you google your particular preparation and see if the web site provides dosage information.

I did a search here on our board for CBD oil but it seems the word CBD is so commonly used that it was not possible to provide the linking details.

I hope that someone will be along who has used the CBD oil and may be able to advise further.

In the meantime perhaps if you look further in this 'Non Prescriptions Medicines, Supplements' etc. Forum you may locate some CBD info. There is also a Medical Marijuana thread which may contain some CBD oil info.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

I tried it but have to say that it did nothing for my rls and I used it at quite a high strength - if didn't even serve to greatly alleviate the significant anxiety I felt at the breath-taking price I paid for the high strength stuff.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure cbd oil is legal in the UK, Polar Bear, provided it is almost completely free of thc which is the psychoactive element of cannabis. It is stocked in Holland and Barrett and other health food shops. Unless Northern Ireland has a different regime to the rest of the UK ...

veldon75

Post by veldon75 »

The reason I got it is because it helps seizures and everyone said it would help RLS, but maybe they don't have severe RLS :( it only became legal here two yrs ago the man at the smoke shop said use a dropper full, but I read it doesn't work for everyone unfortunately, I had high hopes,but since I'm still on pramipexole and been on it for so many years may be why it didn't work for me I'm gonna keep trying it with lowered doses of Pramipexole

veldon75

Post by veldon75 »

veldon75 wrote:I just bought some CBD oil because I heard it would work for RLS, does anyone have experience with it and know how much I would take. I tried several droppers over the night but still had to take my Mirapex I just felt tired

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

legsbestill - you are correct. It came to me in a flash, I came on line to edit my post and found you'd got there before me :)
I think I was typing CBD and thinking Kratom.......
That'll teach me not to do posting and trying to concentrate while standing at the computer and trying to dance off rls symptoms at the same time.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Multi-tasking has its limits even for someone as able as you, Polar bear. It’s a pity that the cbd oil isn’t more effective, given that it’s actually legal. In fact, I understand there are some who gain relief using it but, as I said, I didn’t find it had any impact on my RLS.

veldon75

Post by veldon75 »

veldon75

Post by veldon75 »

This is CBD/Hemp oil I should've put this under Cannabis some people say it only helps their anxiety and pain not RLS I tried it help my legs some I will continue to use it for pain

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

*legsbestill* and *veldon75* We spoke earlier in this thread about the CBD Oil and how it is available in Holland & Barratt. It is indeed quite expensive.
Anyways, I think I will buy some this weekend and have a go, see if it is helpful with sleep and/or symptoms.

I see that yourself and veldon75 don't feel there was much benefit gained but I will approach it with an open mind.
When either of you took it did you titrate upwards, how high did you go with your dosage, did you just take it at night, what strength did you use.
I'd be interested in how you managed it, just as a guidance to get myself off the starting blocks.
Betty

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

During the Foundation webinar yesterday, Dr Bainbridge said that it appears that you need a little bit of THC for CBD to provide the optimal benefits. But she also pointed out that there is VERY little research right now and that everything tends to be anecdotal. If she is correct, that could explain why some people see benefits and others don't depending upon how much (or little) THC is in the CBD oil. If it doesn't take much, the difference between 0.1% and 1% might be important.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I haven't yet listed to the webinair but I have heard before that a little THC is helpful.
The CBD Oil in our local health food store comes in 2.75% and 5% strengths. The 5% meets specification requirements of less than 0.05% THC.

The instructions say to ""put a few drops under the tongue 2-3 times a day. Max 10 drops. Leave the oil in the mouth for 1 minute before swallowing. Gradually build up the dose. This is different for every individual. Do not exceed the recommended daily allowance.""

It is actually quite vague. e.g. ""2 - 3 times a day, max 10 drops"
Not entirely clear if the max 10 drops is each dose, or max 10 drops per day.
I'd guess that it's a daily max of 10 drops as there is no further information about daily max.

Something to discuss with the store.
Betty

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

I haven't used CBD oil, however I have used a high CBD edible which contains 50/50 CBD/THC. It did not help either my sleep or my urge to move. I subsequently found that regular edible marijuana with approximately 10 - 15 mg THC per dose helps my sleeping considerably, although it doesn't do much for the urge to move symptoms.
Blessings,
Holland

Pax

Post by Pax »

It's important that the oil contains 50/50 THC and CBD. The THC component dulls the sensations of RLS and also induces sleep. You also need to make sure that the oil is from an Indica strain of Cannabis plant (sedating) rather that Sativa (euphoric) strain.

I have been on this blend since November last year and it has been my "wonder drug". I was previously on Pramapexiole but the side affects were nasty and I'd wake up dopey and foggy headed which wouldn't really clear until noon the next day. I was also experiencing augmentation. The side affects of the THC/CBD have been negligible in comparison - dry mouth, a bit of light-headedness if I wake up for a bathroom break at night). But I don't have the foggy head in the morning. In fact the effects of the oil only seem to last 6-8 hours so often I find my legs get restless around 5 or 6 AM. Sometimes, if I have a particularly bad bout of RLS I can still feel the sensation but it's dulled and I don't have to kick around in bed or go for a night walk. My husband is now sleeping a lot better and realized how much he had been affected by my RLS before I started taking the oil. We were both skeptical at first but this has been a real breakthrough for me in finding something that works minus unpleasant side effects.

It's important that you do the research to make sure you are getting the correct strain, and that the blend is a 50/50. Straight CBD oil will not help much as far as I can gather from the information the doctor told me and the research I've done. I hope you can get what you need and maybe give it a 2nd try : )

PS. It's also important to titrate your dose up. So start with .25 ml's and then increase the dose slowly.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Hi Betty,
It is a while since I took the cbd oil and my memory is a bit hazy. I think I took it only at bedtime. I used a brand called Charlotte's web oil. They have three strengths and I started with the lowest strength which really made no impact. To do the job thoroughly I then tried the highest strength (which cost over €100). I think I titrated up. It really didn't make any appreciable difference to my rls even at the highest dose so far as I recall. I think I remember feeling that it helped slightly with anxiety but that is not a major problem for me anyway so I finished the bottle and discontinued. It was so expensive that I was almost relieved that it didn't work.

Rachel