Super Foods for RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pamhb

Super Foods for RLS

Post by pamhb »

Having spent the last 6 months figuring out my food triggers (histamines), I have now turned by attention to foods that may assist in dampening my RLS symptoms by supplying the building blocks for dopamine production and increased blood flow, and providing a dietary source of iron. Because histamine foods trigger my symptoms, I also looked for foods potentially reduce my reaction to histamines. Here they are, in no particular order...

Red meat -- dopamine and iron levels, decreases histamines.
Salmon -- dopamine and blood flow; may help to decrease histamines although may still provoke a histamine reaction unless freshly caught and eaten immediately or flash frozen on the boat.
Chicken & Turkey -- dopamine and iron levels; decreases histamines
Broccoli -- dopamine, iron levels; decreases histamines
Spinach -- dopamine, iron levels, increased blood flow; may provoke a histamine reaction
Raw Cacao -- dopamine, iron levels, increased blood flow; may provoke a histamine reaction
Legumes (chick peas, beans, lentils, peanuts) -- dopamine, iron levels, increased blood flow; may provoke histamine reaction
Almonds, pistachios -- dopamine, increased blood flow; almonds may decrease histamines
Pumpkin seeds -- dopamine, iron levels; decrease histamines

There are other foods that similarly contain the building blocks for dopamine (l-tyrasine), increase blood flow, are a dietary source of iron, and that decrease reactions to histamines. I think of the above list as my "super food" list because it hits a least three categories for me.

badnights

Re: Super Foods for RLS

Post by badnights »

thank you for this:). When you say " may provoke a histamine reaction" do you mean you regard it as a superfood despite its potential for adverse effects related to histamine, becuase the iron-dopamine-bloodflow benefits are so good?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.