new ideas for RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

new ideas for RLS

Post by peanut1 »

OK, I now belong to a my crazy health group and the lady who introduced me to this group cured herself of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It was free so I joined. Here are some suggestions for the RLS

Homeopathic iron - supposedly gets better distributed or perhaps digested
Magnesium (which we all know about) and D3.
Lemongrass essential oil and magnets (might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm willing to give the lemongrass a try)

And Maca power

For me, the hormones have played a big part in the RLS and I'm going to be exploring a book on essential oils and hormone balancing.

If this can help a tad bit, I'll be happy. I'm just so excited about this group.

UPDATE:
My feet are doing great due to PT, meditative walking which in turn helped me change the way I walk which got me healed vs. the podiatry treatments. And it was a whole lot less expensive. No surgery was needed!!!!

the RLS is doing so much better due to learning how to really turn down the stress via Tibetan Buddhism techniques.

ViewsAskew

Re: new ideas for RLS

Post by ViewsAskew »

So glad that your RLS is much lower. And, wow - no surgery! I was watching a doctor's video a few weeks ago (I have been in PT twice in the last few months myself) and he was talking about how many of us do not walk correctly.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Ann,

Now that is interesting: the correlation with the walking and the RLS. I continually watch how I walk and I still have minor feet pain, depending what I do, but it's a whole lot better!!
for me, I think the RLS is lower due to me getting better coping skills with the stress. This would correlate with hormone imbalance created by the additional cortisol. When I try to get off the hormone replacement therapy the insomnia and RLS kick in something fierce.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hormones seem to be integral to this and seems we really do not have an answer for that, yet.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Update:

Foot pain came back. Getting foot surgery this week. Thankfully, I'm on a great drug combo horizant and Balsomra where I am sleeping about 7-8 hours a night. The hormones still impact the RLS and sleep, but I don't think it' impacts it as much as I thought before. For me, I think stress is one of the primary causes, outside of genetics. Genetics playing the biggest primary factor obviously.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

also, trying to get off the hormone replacement therapy and there is a great product called femiisse for hormone balancing that has maca in it.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I take maca to help recover from workouts but there's no evidence one way or the other that it helps. In your case, however, you're taking it for RLS/WED, which seems to be affected by hormonal states that change during pregnancy; and WebMD says maca-root extracts might act like estrogen.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.