New Kratom User - when to take

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS/WED, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
debbluebird

Re: New Kratom User - when to take

Postby debbluebird » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:16 pm

chuas2 wrote:Hi, I haven't used kratom before, but since I've been cut off my pain meds and my GP refuses to prescribe anything except ropinerole, I'm trying it.
If you have powder, how much should you measure?

I started out with 1/2 teaspoon. I now take 2 teaspoons. It seems to last about 4 hours. It works best for me if I take it when I wake up during the night. Last night it was about 3 am. I mix it in pineapple juice in the afternoon. It seems to need time to mix. It still sticks to the side of my cup. I put a little water in to get it. It does not mix well with just water. I use the pineapple juice because I like the little cans. I have a cup with a lid to shake it.

chuas2

Postby chuas2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Now that is funny! "Everything burned but we're not replacing anything in case it's found, which it won't be because everything burned." But my kratom was found! Two weeks after it was coded in as "delivered." Argh. I'm up to my ears in chaff. Where's the wheat in life?? Lol

chuas2

Postby chuas2 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 pm

In case anyone checks this (older) thread, I have the red vein kratom that I put in 00 capsules. I've only tried taking three or four of the 00 capsules because I'm afraid of side effects. At that dose, the kratom seems to have a mild stimulant effect. Is one strain better for RLS than others? I've been reducing (doctor going to stop prescribing) opiates, but I still have a few 5/325 that I've been taking so the RLS hasn't been a huge problem. Kind of worried as I'm getting completely cut off the opiates next week. If the red vein is the "best" for RLS symtoms, I'll may try raising the dose?

stjohnh

Postby stjohnh » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:14 pm

Yes, you can increase the dose. Main side effect is constipation. You shouldn't feel "high" with the usual doses. When I was taking it, I only felt a mild relaxing effect. I wouldn't go above 4 grams (about 12 capsules 00). Are you using kratom alone, or in combination with other RLS treatment? You mentioned gabapentin and ropinirole in your prior posts.

I don't know what the "best" strain is. I always used Red Vein Borneo. Takes 60-90 min to kick in if using capsules. Faster if mixed with grapefruit juice. Be sure to take it before you "need" it. If legs are jumping a lot when you start the treatment, all treatments work less well.
Blessings,
Holland

Return to “Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, Diet”