SIBO - 4 facts from a dietician

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

SIBO - 4 facts from a dietician

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have no idea how well versed this dietician is in SIBO; she does mention research but does not cite it (of course, she is writing for an audience that doesn't likely care if they see citations). She seems to believe FODMAP is the only diet that will control the symptoms.

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/b ... ting-wrong
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Re: SIBO - 4 facts from a dietician

Post by badnights »

Seems a sensible article, for once. She says no diet will control symptoms but can help manage them while the SIBO is being treated, and the low-FODMAP one is the best "bang for your buck" (highest ratio of effectiveness to restrictiveness).

I mocked it at the time. but the naturopathic treatments I used over a period of months in 2014 actually fixed me. I used to (since when? I don't know what it started) I used to feel stabbing pain almost any time I ate. I couldn't relate it to anything in particular - something that seemed to set it off once would be ok next time - and although it felt like it, it wasn;t food poisoning because no one else got sick. Doctor diagnosed SIBO (I was seeing her for WED/RLS though! she was a holistic practitioner and quickly found out about my gut issues just by asking specific questions). She sent me to the naturopath - whom I mocked to myself.

I took herbals things (I guess with antibiotic properties) multiple times a day at first, preceded each time by an enzyme pill that broke down biofilms (the protective mucousy slime covering a bacterial colony) . The number of times per day decreased over 3 or 4 months. At some point the pain from eating stopped. I didn't believe it was really gone, because I had read that it usually came back. Sure enough, after eating poorly in the field for 3 weeks during 2015, it came back; I self-treated a shorter and wayh less rigid program, adn it went away and I havne't felt it since.

I also eat raw kimchi or saurkraut almost every day. And I took Saccharomyces boulardii for a long time in 2014-15.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

badnights wrote:Seems a sensible article, for once. She says no diet will control symptoms but can help manage them while the SIBO is being treated, and the low-FODMAP one is the best "bang for your buck" (highest ratio of effectiveness to restrictiveness).

I mocked it at the time. but the naturopathic treatments I used over a period of months in 2014 actually fixed me. I used to (since when? I don't know what it started) I used to feel stabbing pain almost any time I ate. I couldn't relate it to anything in particular - something that seemed to set it off once would be ok next time - and although it felt like it, it wasn;t food poisoning because no one else got sick. Doctor diagnosed SIBO (I was seeing her for WED/RLS though! she was a holistic practitioner and quickly found out about my gut issues just by asking specific questions). She sent me to the naturopath - whom I mocked to myself.

I took herbals things (I guess with antibiotic properties) multiple times a day at first, preceded each time by an enzyme pill that broke down biofilms (the protective mucousy slime covering a bacterial colony) . The number of times per day decreased over 3 or 4 months. At some point the pain from eating stopped. I didn't believe it was really gone, because I had read that it usually came back. Sure enough, after eating poorly in the field for 3 weeks during 2015, it came back; I self-treated a shorter and wayh less rigid program, adn it went away and I havne't felt it since.

I also eat raw kimchi or saurkraut almost every day. And I took Saccharomyces boulardii for a long time in 2014-15.
Did you notice any changes in your RLS?

badnights

Post by badnights »

Oozz wrote:Did you notice any changes in your RLS?
It's hard to say what affected my WED/RLS since I made some massive dietary changes at the same time. Yes, my WED/RLS got better - over 2 years I was able to reduce my meds every 3-6 months til I was at slightly under half what I had been taking. But I don't know if it's because the SIBO is gone, or would have happened anyway.

I suspect the SIBO elimination must have helped, because absorption of all those nutrients from my new diet would have been better.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.