Problems with Kratom

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Problems with Kratom

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:Debs, I didn't realize you have had 5 joints replaced. I hope it settled very soon.
I did not, either! Deb is the Bionic Woman!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Not illegal in Nevada, but my doctor isn't good with alternative medicines, even medical pot. I haven't had a hospital stay since tonsils in the mid-fifties. I thought hospitals would be wary of allowing foreign medications on the premises. But then I don't know hospitals these days. Thanks for the comment. I am encouraged.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I just read a note from a friend of mine. Her friend's son just died from taking kratom.

Toxicology done. Official cause of death is complications of mitragynine [kratom] toxicity. He suffered one event which included seizures, cardiac arrest which led to his death.

I don't know how much he was taking.

badnights

Post by badnights »

debbluebird wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:32 am
I just read a note from a friend of mine. Her friend's son just died from taking kratom.

Toxicology done. Official cause of death is complications of mitragynine [kratom] toxicity. He suffered one event which included seizures, cardiac arrest which led to his death.

I don't know how much he was taking.
Crap. That's awful. I hope someone lets you know eventually how much he took.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I use Kratom, not every night and not in a big dose. I use perhaps 2mg in a dose.

Would still be interested to hear what of a dosage and frequency of use caused this event.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry for your friend's loss.

I've read that this is extremely rare (no less devastating, however) and that most people who die are taking it conjunction with other substances.

This is from a site that is AGAINST kratom:
“Follow the science,” says Charles Haddow. “Kratom itself is safe.” Then again, he would say that. See Haddow is senior fellow of public policy for the American Kratom Association. And if anyone wants to ensure kratom stays available to Americans it’s the AKA.

Advocates such as Haddow continuously brag about kratom’s low toxicity. They also say it’s much easier to kick than opiates. In fact, supporters insist kratom has all the addiction characteristics of caffeine.

If by “low toxicity” the kratomites mean only 682 kratom poisonings throughout the entire 2017, well, they’re right. There were only 682 reported poisonings that year. And that was only a 50-fold increase from 2011.

If kratom advocates are referring to the nearly 100 overdose deaths in which kratom was a factor, well, they’re kind of right there too. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says there were 91 fatal kratom-related overdoses over roughly that same period. That’s versus 27,388 overdose deaths as a whole.

Ninety-One deaths out of 27,388 might not sound like a lot, especially since only seven of those were solely caused by kratom. (The rest also included drugs such as fentanyl or cocaine.) But we at Healing Properties say it’s 91 too many. Heck, one fatal overdose is one kratom victim too many. We also don’t abide by poisonings, 682 or otherwise. We can’t even count how many times kratom has led to relapse (which, in turn, creates even more overdose risk). "
To put this in context, in 2004, there were 20,000 aspirin poisonings and 43 deaths.

I agree that anyone dying from anything is tragic. It is also a risk in things that we consider very safe. Very important to separate out our immediate emotional response. (and very hard to do :-( )
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

QyX

Post by QyX »

Hello Ann,

your response is really good. Aspirin is such a dangerous such is Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, all available without prescription but still responsible many thousand deaths each year.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I have asked about his dose. I don't know if I will get an answer.