Problems with Kratom

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Eternityroad

Problems with Kratom

Post by Eternityroad »

Hello friends,
I have been using Red Vein Kratom successfully for RLS for two years. In the last month I have noticed that sometimes in the evening or late night the Kratom appears not to be effective. At first I thought it was an inferior grade, but I have been getting from the same supplier for awhile. Also I had no problems during the day or at other times. And it wasn't a nightly thing, this ineffectiveness of the Kratom. My solution was to keep dosing on Kratom through the bad period, but this didn't seem to help until about 1-1/2 hours in. It happened at bedtime last night and after a while I used a sleep aid to finally get to sleep. When this started early in June a friend gave me some spare Hydrocodone which quickly took care of the issue, but I can't rely of on getting lortab from my friend and my doc sure as h*** ain't going to give me a script. My only solution appears to be either live with it because it is not an everyday thing or try to get lortab on the black market.

Additionally about the same time this issue started I also had joint pain problems and will be seeing a rheumatologist next week. I am wondering if the recurring RLS issue might have something to do with the joint problems. There is also the possibility of augmenting.

Thanks for your input. I have been a poster here for many years and appreciate the help I have received.

Ken

ViewsAskew

Re: Problems with Kratom

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Ken - wish I had some insight, but do not. Hope others do. I get so sad, and angry, when I see post after post of people who cannot get prescriptions they need to live their lives and have to talk about things like the black market. What a sad state of affairs.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Thanks for your comment. The sad thing is that I controlled the RLS for nine years with lortab. No abuse of the drug and the doc can see this by looking at my prescription records. But he says he will have the authorities breathing down his neck if he prescribes both lortab and zolipdem (generic ambien) for me. I planned to stockpile the lortab but he gave me a pee test ( now required every three months.) I had a glass of wine three days before the test. It showed up on the test and that was the end of that! No one told me to not drink alcohol before the test.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Ken,
I would try increasing the kratom dose. How much are you currently taking? The possibilities that occur to me are: 1) the kratom is not as strong as previously (weather changes in area where it is harvested or your retailer has changed to a different wholesaler). OR 2) your RLS has progressed and now you need higher dosage for consistent relief.
Blessings,
Holland

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

I take I/2 tsp every two hours during the day and early evening and 2-1/2 tsp an hour before bed. I take a half teaspoon in the middle of the night as necessary. I suppose I will have to up the doseage in the eveving. The regular doseage works fine during the day. Thanks for the advice. I have a new batch on order now. We shall see.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

In various kratom forums, people say to rotate strains and suppliers of kratom. I don't know if it's really a thing, but they call it "same strain syndrome." Also, kratom varies in potency from season to season, and from supplier to supplier. I do know that it's possible to build tolerance, and people recommend taking time off of the herb, or switching to stem and vain kratom.

It's also possible that your RLS has gotten worse for some reason. I know that when I can't control my RLS with a rotation of kratom and methadone, it's time to get my ferritin checked.
Susan

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Susan,
Happy to report a better batch of Kratom on the last shipment. This shipment was a brighter green and I noticed an immediate change. (the last batch was a brown-green) I am thinking it was a seasonal strain thing. Didn't want to switch suppliers. I get a great price. If I get an occasional inferior strain and have to increase the dose it's still cost effective in the long run.

Thanks fir your input.

Ken

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Eternityroad wrote:Hello friends,
I have been using Red Vein Kratom successfully for RLS for two years. In the last month I have noticed that sometimes in the evening or late night the Kratom appears not to be effective. At first I thought it was an inferior grade, but I have been getting from the same supplier for awhile. Also I had no problems during the day or at other times. And it wasn't a nightly thing, this ineffectiveness of the Kratom. My solution was to keep dosing on Kratom through the bad period, but this didn't seem to help until about 1-1/2 hours in. It happened at bedtime last night and after a while I used a sleep aid to finally get to sleep. When this started early in June a friend gave me some spare Hydrocodone which quickly took care of the issue, but I can't rely of on getting lortab from my friend and my doc sure as h*** ain't going to give me a script. My only solution appears to be either live with it because it is not an everyday thing or try to get lortab on the black market.

Additionally about the same time this issue started I also had joint pain problems and will be seeing a rheumatologist next week. I am wondering if the recurring RLS issue might have something to do with the joint problems. There is also the possibility of augmenting.

Thanks for your input. I have been a poster here for many years and appreciate the help I have received.

Ken
Whenever I have had joint pain my RLS and spasms became worse. I've had several joint replacements. After everything calmed down it got better.
Lortab is a low dose opioid, which is good. Have you tried gabapentin? This might work for you.
Good luck.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Hadn't heard of gabapentin. Will look into it. I have determined that the problem was the quality of the batch I was using. Got a new batch and all is well. Thanks for responding.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Gabapentin is one of the anti-convulsants that are commonly prescribed for WED/RLS.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Thanks

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

After I wrote my response yesterday, today I woke up with severe shoulder, joint pain. Then I remembered that I have been having RLS in that are. For the last few days. Of my six joints, knees, hips and shoulders it's the only one that has not been replaced.
So for me, joint pain and RLS are definitly relayed.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Debs, I didn't realize you have had 5 joints replaced. I hope it settled very soon.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Knee replacement maybe in my future. I had meniscus surgery 7 years ago and lately the knee is bothering me.The issue I have with the surgery is will the hospital staff allow me to use the kratom. I have even thought of having it smuggled in by friends and visitors. I don't want to have to deal with squirmy legs while trying to heal from knee replacement. I have scary images of being confined to bed without being able to walk around when the legs squirm. But then I suppose the opioids they give for pain will take care of the squirms.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wouldn't think they would...but I do not know. Hmmm. It isn't illegal where you are, right? if not, not sure how they could stop you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.