Ivory Liquid

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
LessRest38

Ivory Liquid

Post by LessRest38 »

I read in "The People's Pharmacy" about a person that was having trouble with restless legs while driving and heard that rubbing in Ivory liquid soap would help. I tried it and I think it may be helping. I had to drive home from a relatives house and my right leg between the knee and ankle was bothering me. I rubbed on some soap and it started to feel better as I drove. Unfortunately my right thigh picked up the slack and messed up the rest of the drive home. I have been successful in cutting back my Requip to 2 a day and I take my last pill before I go to bed. Some times the pill kicks in in about 30 minutes. I have recently applied Ivory liquid to both legs when I go to bed and I think it helps me get to sleep. There can be a bit of restlessness for a while but I seem to drift off soon. I can't imagine why this might work but I am not complaining.

Polar Bear

Re: Ivory Liquid

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, I've tried this, without success. I'm glad it works for you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope it continues to work. You mentioned you cannot imagine why it might work - my best guess is that the rubbing action is doing it. I used to rub lotion on and it helped. I think it was two things - the rubbing and making my skin feel less dry. Any sensations on my skin can trigger sensations of RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I agree with ViewsAskew about the dry skin Sometimes I become suddenly aware that my skin on legs and feet feels dry (perhaps a sensation and not obviously dry) and to moisturise gives a definite easement, not of the rls symptoms because they haven't actually started, but perhaps a delaying action.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

all of which suggests it might be wiser to use a moisturizer than a soap (no matter what the ads say about its moisturizing qualities)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

LessRest38

Post by LessRest38 »

A follow-up on Ivory Liquid. I still find it beneficial. If my leg or foot aren't ready to settle down but I have had 2 ropinirole and I limit myself to that almost always, I put the soap on the offending part. Soon I am settled down. Sometimes the restless part moves and I give a second treatment. The neat part of this is that it dries up quickly and does not mess up the sheets. I have met some others in my support group that are users also.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I would love to see one of you switch to a different brand of liquid soap, and see if the benefit is the same or less or more. Also, see someone switch to a lavender-scented moisturizing lotion, and again, see if the benefit is the same, better, or worse.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

LessRest38. I'm wondering...as the ivory soap is working so well.....
Instead of using it after taking 2 ropinerole, have you tried using it regularly together with your ropinerole, and reducing your ropinerole.
Or have you tried using it before taking your ropinerole and taking less ropinerole.
I'd be interested to know if you would still derive benefit.
Betty