Iron on an Empty Stomach

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Stainless

Iron on an Empty Stomach

Post by Stainless »

From what I've read on this forum I should take iron (I'm taking 325 mg. Ferrous Sulphate) on an empty stomach. First thing in the morning I take B-12 under my tongue and a few minutes later take the iron and vitamin C. Then I wash it down with too much decaffeinated coffee. Maybe an hour later I eat breakfast. Although I have got various suggestions on what type of Iron, I'm currently going with the international consensus study on iron for RLS. My healthcare provider's Hematologist wanted nothing to do with infusion unless I was anaemic per my GP while my Neurologist is ready to prescribe about anything (except opioids) including MM, "a business we are getting into".

I don't feel any improvement from the oral iron but I keep taking it and several other supplements. I think I'm going to pursue MM during my next appointment that's coming soon. I've been making my own brownies since I retired but thought I would try a prescription dose. Any comments on my technique for taking the oral iron?

Rustsmith

Re: Iron on an Empty Stomach

Post by Rustsmith »

That follows the same sort of approach that I used for oral iron. In the beginning, I was taking it twice a day. First was mid-morning and second was mid-afternoon. My ferritin went from 42 to 350 over the period of a couple of years. Eventually I got to 650, which is when my doctors advised me to stop taking iron. It has come down to 425 after two years and with all that, it hasn't helped my RLS.

As the study said, not everyone is helped by increased iron. So, how long have you been on oral iron and what is your current ferritin? Oral iron takes time, even when done correctly.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Stainless

Re: Iron on an Empty Stomach

Post by Stainless »

I've been taking 325 mg. Ferrous Sulphate iron as described for about 3 months. For the 6 months before I was taking 25 mg. Iron Bisglycinate I saw recommended on this site in the same fashion. Neither seemed to help. Before that I had quit taking chewable drugstore iron for about 6 months and really saw my levels drop from 365 to about half that. I'm having an iron panel run in 3 months so I will keep this routine up until then.