research on use of TENS for PLMs

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.

XenMan

Re: research on use of TENS for PLMs

Post by XenMan »

Probably better in the physical section. Anyway, the mechanism of TENS is re-attenuation of nerves for 3 to 4 hours. But they can also help with relaxing muscles that have tension from nerve activation, but my guess is less due to inflammation. There are plenty of papers on abnormal leg nerve activity for people with RLS, so the correct TENS use is just a given as being effective.

I use a TENS EMS combination, which hits the nerves and flexes the muscles, helping to relieve all tension.

TENS are definitely complex to use in some situations for RLS, especially for some of the more supportive muscles in the calf, but should do the job nicely with PLM if you can find the right muscles to target.

This (https://release417.com/product/release417/?lang=en) works well for light to medium symptoms, or you can use a knee wrap for the same result. It should work for PLM as well. The mechanism seems to be compressing the sciatic nerve at the top of the thigh disrupting signals, as well as bit of restricted blood flow. I was concerned about increase in blood pressure if used all night but testing showed it wasn't changed.

wantok

Re: research on use of TENS for PLMs

Post by wantok »

Thanks for your comments. I will repost in physical section.