Coffee / Splenda = cramps?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
MJDK

Coffee / Splenda = cramps?

Post by MJDK »

I have RLS but have also suffered from leg, foot, toe, and abdominal cramps almost daily and nightly for several years. I've been a coffee drinker with Splenda for decades - at least 2 cups per day. A few weeks ago, I started having morning stomach aches (not cramps), and thought perhaps the coffee was irritating the lining of my stomach, so I quit. Cold turkey. Within just a few days of quitting the coffee (and Splenda), my muscle cramps miraculously disappeared. I cannot believe it. Three weeks ago, if someone told me to stop drinking coffee or eliminate artificial sweetener, I would have told them that was ridiculous. Just sharing. I am amazed. Can't think of any other changes in my diet or daily habits that might have relieved the cramps.

QyX

Re: Coffee / Splenda = cramps?

Post by QyX »

My RLS symptoms always significantly within 24 hours once I completely stop caffeine.

Unfortunately, even relatively small amounts of caffeine like 1/2 cup of coffee can massively worsen my RLS within 2 hours after consumption.

I am not surprised you are making this experience. There are lots and lots of substances that can worsen RLS. However as far as I can tell, only pharmalogic active substance can worsen RLS in my experience. So I am pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with artificial sweeteners.

MJDK

Post by MJDK »

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Did your WED/RLS improve when you stopped the coffee? Or just the cramps?

I was at one point 100% certain that coffee was worsening my WED/RLS symptoms, so I quit for about 2 years. I've been off and on since then. Sometimes I can drink it without apparent effect. But if I drink it too many days in a row, I start to feel my legs being abnormal in the mornings, and I know I have to cut it out again for a while.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

QyX

Post by QyX »

badnights wrote:Did your WED/RLS improve when you stopped the coffee? Or just the cramps?

I was at one point 100% certain that coffee was worsening my WED/RLS symptoms, so I quit for about 2 years. I've been off and on since then. Sometimes I can drink it without apparent effect. But if I drink it too many days in a row, I start to feel my legs being abnormal in the mornings, and I know I have to cut it out again for a while.
Ye, the overall symptoms can improve quite a bit and I can reduce opioid intake by about 1/4 when I don't drink caffeine on a regular basis.

For the most part, I kind of do the same things you do. I am aware that I should not consume any caffeine whatsoever but I just can't help myself. Unfortunately my legs don't only feel "abnormal" in the morning but I have way more pain symptoms during the day than without using. And pain medication is also not as effective when using caffeine.