Spinal stimulation?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Brenda B

Re: Spinal stimulation?

Post by Brenda B »

I have no idea, mine was from Boston Scientific out of California (but the surgeon was SD). They just run the 'wiring' up your spine a short way.

badnights

Mean enough name

Post by badnights »

Brenda B wrote:Guess I'm not fond of that name either! Just doesn't sound 'mean' enough...
What about Dreadful Sensori-motor Sleep-destroying Disease? DSSD is not a bad acronym but not a good one either. The name captures most points... misses Life-destroying, though ...
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Brenda B

Post by Brenda B »

I agree! Most people don't realize how destructive it is! I wish I had the last 25 years of my life back as well as all the money spent on doctors, neurologists, spine doctors, MRIs, medications and emergency room visits (not RLS but caused by it). I even lost most of the vision in one eye (the result of chosing a procedure that was more "RLS friendly" over the better procedure that would have had a better outcome). Sorry, just venting. Things I need to just let go. Life is short and we should enjoy the blessings we do have. It is, after all, the Christmas Season. Merry Christmas!!! Wishing for 2021 to be better!

ViewsAskew

Re: Mean enough name

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:23 am
Brenda B wrote:Guess I'm not fond of that name either! Just doesn't sound 'mean' enough...
What about Dreadful Sensori-motor Sleep-destroying Disease? DSSD is not a bad acronym but not a good one either. The name captures most points... misses Life-destroying, though ...
Indeed.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Brenda B wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:53 pm
I agree! Most people don't realize how destructive it is! I wish I had the last 25 years of my life back as well as all the money spent on doctors, neurologists, spine doctors, MRIs, medications and emergency room visits (not RLS but caused by it). I even lost most of the vision in one eye (the result of chosing a procedure that was more "RLS friendly" over the better procedure that would have had a better outcome). Sorry, just venting. Things I need to just let go. Life is short and we should enjoy the blessings we do have. It is, after all, the Christmas Season. Merry Christmas!!! Wishing for 2021 to be better!
Hugs to you - and, yes, I think we should all enjoy our blessings! Happy Holidays to all.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Things I need to just let go. Life is short and we should enjoy the blessings we do have. It is, after all, the Christmas Season. Merry Christmas!!! Wishing for 2021 to be better!
Easier said than done/. I admire your determination to get all the good you can out of this life. Merry Christmas to you and all as well, and let's make 2021 as wonderful as we can.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am scheduled to get a trial spinal stimulator next week.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

We do hope this is successful.
Roll on next week.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hope it works miracles, Deb

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

It is working for me. I am having no RLS and my leg spasms are reduced. I had some medium spasms last night at 8:30 before going to bed and some mild ones at 4:15 am that I was able to roll over and go back to sleep.
I am getting the Nevro HF 10. There were several ones offered to me and me and my Doctor picked this one. They are out of Arizona and I live in New Mexico. They have reps from there who are here. I am still doing the trial and she calls me everyday as we turn up the dial.
For those who don't know me, I take methadone and have taken it since 2010.
I have severe arthritis, spinal stenosis with several bulging discs.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 pm
It is working for me. I am having no RLS and my leg spasms are reduced. I had some medium spasms last night at 8:30 before going to bed and some mild ones at 4:15 am that I was able to roll over and go back to sleep.
I am getting the Nevro HF 10. There were several ones offered to me and me and my Doctor picked this one. They are out of Arizona and I live in New Mexico. They have reps from there who are here. I am still doing the trial and she calls me everyday as we turn up the dial.
For those who don't know me, I take methadone and have taken it since 2010.
I have severe arthritis, spinal stenosis with several bulging discs.
That is great news, Deb.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

It really does help my RLS and spasms. I think for insurance companies to approve it for RLS, it has to be listed under chronic pain. Especially for people who take opioids since they don't like prescribing them.
The only problem I see is to decide where to place the leads. I did see a few articles where there are trials for spinal stimulators and RLS.
Last night I only had one instance of mild spasms.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am having the surgery tomorrow for the spinal stimulator. Time had flown by.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope your surgery has gone well and that the future is positive.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am two days out from having the surgery for the spinal stimulator. So far so good. I took two oxys the first night and only one last night. I have been sleeping well. I don't plan on taking any oxys tonight. They would be covering any spasms if I'm having any.
My usual is to wake up every two hours, but now I am sleeping for four hours, two segments.
The device is turned on but we won't be turning it up until two weeks have passed. I plan on weaning off the methadone. That will be the real test.
I haven't felt any RLS or spasms.