What's the deal with magnesium?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SleepyBhamster

What's the deal with magnesium?

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Since I'm awake at 2:30am with nothing better to do, I may as well ask something that's been driving me crazy lately. Whenever I mention my problems with RLS to someone who doesn't know anything about RLS, they tell me, "You probably need more magnesium." Even when I go so far as to explain that I'm getting iron infusions (starting in 8 hours!), they still feel I need magnesium. :roll:

What's up with that?! I would never dream of suggesting a supplement to a stranger, and most especially not if that stranger told me they had a plan in place already to deal with their condition--that I had never even heard of before.

I do recall that in Dr. Buchfuhrer's last webinar, he answered a question about magnesium, saying that he had never found it to be effective for RLS.

ViewsAskew

Re: What's the deal with magnesium?

Post by ViewsAskew »

Before there was ANY research, there were lots of ideas. Magnesium is one that is many years old, along with several other vitamins and supplements. People who are deficient in these things may find relief. The rest of us? Not so much. The soap in bed is my favorite. SO many people have told me to do that.

People like to be helpful. I try to remember that when I have an idea for someone - that just cuz I had an idea doesn't mean I should share it!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

The magnesium idea might also have arisen because muscle cramps can be caused by lack of calcium, magnesium, or potassium, and since most North American diets are deficient in magnesium, it has become known as a remedy for muscle cramps. Why recommend it for RLS/WED? Because people don't know the difference between muscle cramps and RLS/WED.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

badnights wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:28 am
Why recommend it for RLS/WED? Because people don't know the difference between muscle cramps and RLS/WED.
YES!!! :roll:

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I would never announce I had a hidden disease or condition but with RLS it's impossible to sit still so often I will need to stand up during a meal, movie or meeting then I have to say why. So many of my friends, even siblings who do not have it (most do) make all kinds of recommendations including magnesium. They mean well but don't have a clue.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

" people don't know the difference between WED/RLS and cramps"

This simple statement of Badnights is so important!!
I want to make banners and fly them !!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

I have been taking magnesium for 8 years in the form of a product Calm. This has peen at the persistence of my wife mixing us up a glass just before bed. No miracle cure for RLS but no complaints. Keeps you regular if you're old like me.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I do take magnesium and it has helped my leg cramps. I have it all. RLS, leg spasms, pain and leg cramps. There is a difference.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

SleepyBhamster wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:38 am
Since I'm awake at 2:30am with nothing better to do, I may as well ask something that's been driving me crazy lately. Whenever I mention my problems with RLS to someone who doesn't know anything about RLS, they tell me, "You probably need more magnesium." Even when I go so far as to explain that I'm getting iron infusions (starting in 8 hours!), they still feel I need magnesium. :roll:
Obviously people mix up RLS with cramps, and magnesium is a kind of "wonder supplement" that is suggested in a lot of contexts.

Having said that, magnesium binds oxalates, and oxalates seem to cause severe RLS for some of us. Which might explain why magnesium helps some of us. So it doesn't hurt to try high dose magnesium for a while.

Personally I take a magnesium supplement because I become deficient if I don't (according to my blood tests), but it has never done anything for my RLS.

Tim S.

Post by Tim S. »

I was reading the current clinical trials for RLS/WED and one of the ongoing trials was for testing Magnesium. They were using Mg Citrate at 200 mgs a day. I realized that I was not getting the RDA for Magnesium so I upped my intake. I think it helped my RLS. I don't know the results of the trial/study. I think it is ongoing.
https://clinicaltrials.gov/

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

From what I've read, too much magnesium will cause only very mild symptoms (diarrhea, mostly). Kidneys will get rid of excess magnesium easily. This may change if you have kidney failure or eat magnesium supplements like candy, of course :)

I believe for the vast majority of people it's safe to ramp up magnesium intake until you encounter diarrhea. Then you know what your personal max dose is ;) I find that I easily tolerate a teaspoon of magnesium citrate in the evening, plus a supplement in the morning containing various forms of magnesium (-malate, -glycinate, -oxide and whatnot) with a total of 400mg elementary magnesium. But of course I take oxycodone, which causes constipation. Magnesium helps a lot with that.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I was reading the current clinical trials for RLS/WED and one of the ongoing trials was for testing Magnesium. They were using Mg Citrate at 200 mgs a day. I realized that I was not getting the RDA for Magnesium so I upped my intake. I think it helped my RLS. I don't know the results of the trial/study. I think it is ongoing.
magnesium binds oxalates, and oxalates seem to cause severe RLS for some of us.
I knew of a person years ago whose severe WED/RLS was eliminated by taking a high dose of Mg (can't remember the dose now). It really seemed from his description that he did have WED/RLS and not something else. I've always kept that example in mind when discussing Mg and WED with people. And over the years, there have been others who, like you, Tim S., find that Mg has helped.

Frunobulax, you've provided a possible explanation.

Many people on the modern North American diet are deficient in Mg, so adding a supplement is a good idea. And as F says, it's easy to tell when you've taken too much :)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.