Kratom questions

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
AutomationAir

Kratom questions

Post by AutomationAir »

Hi all! My doc just put me on 600mg of Horizant for my RLS, but I’ve read that it may not control my symptoms by itself (it’s only been one day so I can’t judge how it’ll be for me yet). I’ve seen Kratom recommended and it’s legal in my state, but I don’t know much about it. What kind and what dosage is recommended to start with should I need it? Is there anything I should know?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

stjohnh

Re: Kratom questions

Post by stjohnh »

It works like a mild opioid, though it is not actually stucturally related to opioids. It has been used for 1000 years in Indonesia, mostly to releive pain in laborers there. It is the ground leaves of a tree. Tastes VERY bitter. I put it in empty gelatin capsules and generally use two at a time (about 700mg). Usual dose for most people is 1/2 gram to 4 grams several times a day as needed. I would get some ASAP just to have on hand. Main side effect if you take too much is constipation (like opioids). Doesn't make most people high. If you don't put it in capsules, I used to mix it with ice cold grapefruit juice to mask the bitterness.
Blessings,
Holland

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I take 1 level teasp of Kratom Red Borneo as a dose. Sometimes one before bed and often one during the night as well. This helps with comfort but would need higher doses for it to help with sleep. I also make sure there are nights that I don’t take it to avoid tolerance.

I add a little boiling water to it and leave it fir ten minutes. This helps it dissolve a bit and reduce the grittiness. Throw it back and follow with orange juice. You do get used to the taste and it is still very bitter.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

bumble34

Post by bumble34 »

Hi I`ve been taking Kratom most nights for the last six months since ending nightly ropinirole, sometimes in combination with pregabalin. The results are`nt totally consistent, but nor is the " condition" I`m treating, however what works most of the time is green malay in capsule form, 4of about 9pm with a further 2 or 3 in the early hours. just a note of caution, for me personally 5/6 or more taken in one go will calm the legs after about hour but then will keep me awake for the next 4/5 hours, which rather defeats the object, however it is better experience being able to lie in quiet contemplation as opposed to walking round the house massaging knees every so often.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I've taken kratom every day for eight years. I don't find that it keeps me awake; in fact, because it calms my legs, it really helps me sleep. I have developed some tolerance, so to lessen the amount I need I now take a little cannabis and a very little roprinirole with it at night. I take different kinds, to help with the tolerance, but don't see much difference between the kinds I take. Cannabis does help, but my main med. is still kratom.