Stressless Chairs

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ericksonja

Stressless Chairs

Post by ericksonja »

Good morning! Has anyone tried buying an Ekorne stressless chair? I have noticed my restless legs can be better or worse in the evening based on what chair I sit in, so I am assuming my sitting posture affects my symptoms. The chairs are very expensive and want to hear from others before I make the purchase. Thank you!

ViewsAskew

Re: Stressless Chairs

Post by ViewsAskew »

Have not tried one.

I haven't noticed sitting make it better or worse, either, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Many of us find our symptoms are a bit specific to our bodies.

For what it's worth, my brother thought he had severe RLS/WED for years. Then he had back surgery - what he thought was RLS was not it at all! Well, part of it was, but a lot of it was not. Now he has very mild symptoms only here and there.

Can be really hard to distinguish at time from other similar conditions, it seems, so may be worth checking that it isn't both RLS/WED and something else.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ericksonja

Post by ericksonja »

Thank you, that was helpful!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

ericksonja wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:44 pm
Thank you, that was helpful!
You are very welcome! Over time, we have had a few people here who had RLS/WED and something else...or didn't have RLS/WED at all. There aren't too many things that are confused with it, but any type of neuropathy could be, as well as four or five other conditions, IIRC.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

For what it's worth, my brother thought he had severe RLS/WED for years. Then he had back surgery - what he thought was RLS was not it at all! Well, part of it was, but a lot of it was not. Now he has very mild symptoms only here and there.
Ann, when I read this I wondered if maybe he did have a form of WED/RLS, and the back surgery corrected it. Or, would you say that all forms of WED/RLS-like symptoms that are due to nerve impingements or other back injuries are not really WED/RLS?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:51 pm
Ann, when I read this I wondered if maybe he did have a form of WED/RLS, and the back surgery corrected it. Or, would you say that all forms of WED/RLS-like symptoms that are due to nerve impingements or other back injuries are not really WED/RLS?
Good point. Not sure. Afterward, he thought it was different. He realized it was more of a numbness feeling - so I just guessed it was different.

Managing Your RLS

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

We have a room full of them. The first one we've had for well over 10 years and ordered a new one to replace it. It's not ready to go to the curb but will go elsewhere in the house. I like them a lot, better than anything else we could find, but we have noticed they don't give a lot of support to the lower back. Still way more comfortable than overstuffed leather we have in living room. I would recommend them as they are comfortable, very well built and don't take up a lot of room. The matching one we are waiting for had to ship from Europe and will total 3 months. We bought 2 from Smart Furniture online and the other 2 locally.

As far as RLS, anytime I relax there is a chance it will kick off symptoms. But what am I to do, jumping jacks all evening?

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

As far as RLS, anytime I relax there is a chance it will kick off symptoms. But what am I to do, jumping jacks all evening?
That's funny (not symptoms while relaxing). I pretty much do jumping jacks all evening until I start on my meds. I can't sit down to relax in the evening and can spend very little time on the computer. I watch Netflix on the reverse binge method in the middle of the night—20 minutes at a time during my awake hours in between my sleep hours. I also read, paint, stretch and walk around. Even if my legs don't hurt when I wake up I can't get back to sleep until I've been up for an hour or two or more which is very frustrating.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yankiwi - I am in the same position in that even if my legs don't hurt when I wake up I need to get up, usually for a couple of hours. This is not occasional, it is every night. As you say very frustrating and I do try to accept that this is just how it is. Fortunately being retired I can sleep for as long as the second ( or even third) shift will allow me.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I keep a journal on my phone every night (10.30 went to bed; 12.30 woke up, 1.45 went back to sleep etc) and then put a month at a time on my computer. At my regular doctor's appointment a few times a year I give herthe current month's printout which she scans and puts into my records. She says it is good evidence of why I need codeine because my sleep is awful even with it.
The last time I changed what I gave her. I wanted it to be as graphic as possible.
Asleep Times up Awake
February 4 4 hours 45 minutes 2 5 hours
February 5 4 hours 30 minutes 3 4 hours 45 minutes
February 6 6 hours 45 minutes 3 3 hours

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I have found that if I sit in a chair or car with my feet and legs going to the floor then later I have more symptoms. It helps me to have my legs up in the recliner when at home and not just any recliner. It has to be comfortable. I have a lazy boy.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yankiwi, I also keep a journal similar to yours but handwritten in a book. I include any deviations to 'usual' medication such as Kratom or an extra pill.

debbluebird, I also very often have my legs up, left leg underneath me and right leg stretched out in front. This is nothing to do with rls, it's just how I sit in a relaxed position. I don't particularly choose to do this. It's how I've sat for as long as I can remember.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

Over 20 years ago I was walking through a big mall. My legs were going crazy which was not the norm but did happen. I went into a Sharper Image and sat on a Panasonic Massage Recliner. Instantly my legs went silent. When I got home I shopped around, found a better price and ordered it. It never stopped my RLS again. Great chair, good massages and the leg support vibrated, but no solution. Used it until it was wore out. I bought my Mom one years later because she also had RLS and neuropathy. It was cheaper made and had added calf roller. She was getting pretty old by then and didn’t have much interest. Me and my brothers would use it but same thing, no solution. Rick