Histamine foods and antihistamines (e.g. Benedryl)

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
philoff

Histamine foods and antihistamines (e.g. Benedryl)

Post by philoff »

I keep reading that foods high in histamines can be triggers for RLS. But I also read that anti-histamine medications (like Benedryl) should definitely be avoided. (Benedryl and cold medications make my RLS go crazy.) I'm obviously not understanding something here. Help?

badnights

Re: Histamine foods and antihistamines (e.g. Benedryl)

Post by badnights »

I actually don't understand that either. It is for sure that anti-histamines of the older variety (the type that cross the blood-brain barrier, and are known as the "sedating" type) will cause strong WED/RLS symptoms in everyone who has the disease. (Making the "sedating" part of the description a cruel joke.)

I also know that histamine-containing foods are a problem for some people with WED/RLS, not for everyone. With WED/RLS, it seems that your symptoms will be worsened if you have any other health problem that hasn't been dealt with. That must be the case for people who have histamine sensitivities.

But clearly there is something missing in this picture.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.