Glutamate vs. L-Glutamine

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
philoff

Glutamate vs. L-Glutamine

Post by philoff »

I sure wish I had a science background. Increasingly, I read that many people (and I would be among them) have their RLS symptoms triggered by high glutamate foods (think Monosodium glutamate -MSG -in its many forms). A few days, the RLS Foundation had a webinar by a gastroenterologist about the possible link between SIBO (Small intestine bacterial overgrowth) and RLS. One of his recommendations was taking L-Glutamine. Are glutamate and glutamine the same animal? Apologizing in advance for my ignorance!

Rustsmith

Re: Glutamate vs. L-Glutamine

Post by Rustsmith »

No, glutamate and glutamine are not the same thing. But explaining the difference requires a rudimentary understanding of chemistry

Both are amino acids, but glutamine as an amine group (-N-H2) at the location where glutamate as a hydroxy group (-OH). Glutamate is similar to glutamic acid with an H+ removed.

And I know that this is too much information, but the L in L-glutamine indicates the orientation of the structure of the molecule. There is a compound designated R-glutamine that is the mirror image of L-glutamine. All living organisms are made up and utilize amino acids that with the L- orientation. Therefore R-glutamine is not something that occurs in nature and must be formulated in the lab.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

philoff

Post by philoff »

Thank you for this reply! So, if I understand you correctly, L-glutamine would not aggravate RLS.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I can't say, but my guess is that it would not. Glutamine is a necessary amino acid that you need in your diet, so supplementing probably wouldn't be an issue. But I am not a doctor nor have I tried taking a glutamine supplement.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

Rustsmith wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:44 pm

But I am not a doctor nor have I tried taking a glutamine supplement.
I'm not a doctor either, but I have taken glutamine for a couple of months as part of a leaky gut treatment. This was roughly at the time when I managed to lower my medication by a bit (30mg oxycodone to 25mg a day) -- I wouldn't attribute it to the glutamine alone, as I did several things at the time, but it certainly didn't aggrevate my RLS issues.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Higher levels of glutamate in the brain have been linked to worse WED/RLS. Glutamine is converted to glutamate in the body. I am not sure but iirc it's converted only when more glutamate is needed. So ingesting glutamine shouldn't increase WED/RLS symptoms by increasing gluatmate. (And moreover, it's not necessarily true that an increase of glutamate somewhere in the body means it is increased in teh brain.)

That said, I used a glutamine supplement in the evenings for leaky gut and it seemed to make my symptoms worse, so I switched to take it in the mornings. It seemed to be ok that way. But the disease symptoms are so variable, I can't be sure if the glutamine in the evening actually was the cause of the worsened symptoms./
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.