Iron Supplementation

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pamelap

Iron Supplementation

Post by pamelap »

Hi. I wanted to report that my symptoms seem much better since I began taking iron supplementation. I have taken Blood Builder Minis, which contain 26 mg of iron as iron bisglycinate, for the last 12 days. I recall, in years past, at least two occasions where I was having RLS symptoms and took iron supplements until it stopped, then D/C'ed the iron. However, my RLS symptoms have been worse over the last few years and I hadn't tried this. I am post-menopausal, so am concerned about overdosing on iron and will probably stop supplementation for now until I can discuss this with my physician at our appointment next month. However, my ferritin levels had been low when tested in August 2020 (in the very bottom of the low normal range, considerably under the target goal of 100). I do view this as a useful experiement, however, and it gives me some hope (I have also utilized acupuncture, which helps somewhat as well, but which never helped so much on its own without the iron). My worsening of symptoms started following my gall bladder removal in 2/19, after which time I developed a significant bile reflux problem. I am thinking that my absorption of iron has not been as good after this time, with all of my GI problems. Has anyone else had this experience? I hate to stop, but don't want to overdose, as I indicated. Thanks!

stjohnh

Re: Iron Supplementation

Post by stjohnh »

It is nearly impossible to accidentally overdose on oral iron. Overdoses or oral iron occur most often in children who mistake the tablets for M&Ms. There is a robust protection mechanism in the intestines that prevent almost all absorption of oral iron if the ferritin is above about 100. Dangerous levels of iron occur when the ferritin is above 1000 for a prolonged period (at least many months).
Blessings,
Holland

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I will add that I was able to get my ferritin level over 600 using oral iron, but it took years. I asked my RLS doctor and she indicated that as long as I wasn't showing signs of jaundice at that level, that I shouldn't worry about it. My GP offered to try to find out why my ferritin got so high and ordered a genetic test for hemachromatosis, which came back negative. She hasn't raised the subject since then.

And unfortunately, even with my ferritin levels that high, it didn't help with my RLS which remains very severe.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pamelap

Post by pamelap »

Thanks to you both! Very helpful!

James Joseph

Post by James Joseph »

Several posts in other conversations focus on brain iron deficiency. I believe magnesium L-threonate is purported to be the one magnesium supplement that crosses the blood brain barrier. Got me curious as to whether iron could be coupled with L-threonate for the same purpose. Looks like there has been some study of ferrous L-threonate for treating anemia and a company named Biocalth appears to have a patent on it. Anybody know anything regarding this form of iron supplementation?

pamelap

Post by pamelap »

Interesting. Thanks!