Saratame

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
kgmoore2187

Saratame

Post by kgmoore2187 »

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has had good success with this supplement? It's called Saratame.

https://seratame.com/rls-protocol/?gcli ... HKEALw_wcB

Thanks!

Polar Bear

Re: Saratame

Post by Polar Bear »

This is described as an all natural supplement. I scanned the link very quickly. Does it actually say what the natural supplements are? I also Googled it and found reviews which said it worked, and reviews which said it didnt. This is pretty usual where supplements are concerned. Some things help some people for some time, or not. It's the same with the prescribed drugs. Not all will help everyone. Treatment is trial and error (although opiates pretty much work for everyone).I
So it's trial and error.
Perhaps another member may be familiar with Saratame.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

One of the issues with RLS is that patients are highly susceptible to the placebo effect. If you believe it helps, then you can get better (for a while). This is especially true for those with mild to moderate RLS. When they do clinical trials for new meds, they usually exclude anyone with severe or very severe RLS because as Dr Allen told me once, we are "too complicated". This means that about half of those who are on the placebo during a trial show improvement even though all they were taking was a sham "medication". This is why you will often see glowing testimonials about how well some natural meds can be. But unless they contain loads of iron or provide a vitamin or mineral that you are deficient in, then any improvement will be rather imaginary. Yes you feel better, but only because you believe in the benefits of the pill.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

kgmoore2187

Post by kgmoore2187 »

Thanks! I'm definitely in the moderate to severe category so I have my doubts about it. It looks like it's a combination of Magnesium Glycinate, Passionflower, Turmeric Extract, Vitamin D3, Vitamin K2, Vitamin B6 and Lactobacillus plantarum 299(probiotic). The main argument seems to be out inflammation interfering with how iron is absorbed, thus messing with dopamine, and they say this combination of stuff will help.

I'm in a situation now where I had an iron infusion, which helped significantly, but now my symptoms have returned. My ferritin has dropped a lot since immediately after the infusion, but is still too high for my doctor to recommend another one so I'm looking at some other options, too. Might also try some oral iron again.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Magnesium is absorbed by the same intestinal cells that absorb iron, so this product would actually interfere with iron absorption if taken anytime near when taking an iron supplement or a meal that is heavy in organic iron content (like red meat). Yes, intestinal inflammation (such as Crohn's) can be an issue, but whether this would do any better than eating a container of yogurt sounds questionable to me.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.