calcium

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Kathryn60

calcium

Post by Kathryn60 »

Hello,

It's been a while since I've been on the boards and used to go by my dog's name Peanut1. So glad to be back! I was looking at what has worked and was surprised at the number of people who responded that calcium has helped their RLS. I had nearly cut calcium out until I found out that I was borderline osteoporosis since calcium is an iron inhibitor or blocker. Now I do take calcium but not past 4 or 5 p.m. I had also cut out a lot of calcium foods and found that was really helping the RLS along with other things like phytatates, oxalates etc. however, I had to go back on some of those foods recently but make sure that I take a severely limited amount of spinach or whatever oxalates or iron inhibitors in the evening. The big thing for me is reducing the stress as I have literally had my legs stop moving if I can get to the source of the stress which isn't always easy to do.

badnights

Re: calcium

Post by badnights »

Hi Peanut/Kathy! Good to hear from you. I won't take a calcium supplement, there has been a bit of information that it might not be a good way to get the calcium we need. I was in a state when I thought I was getting osteoporosis, because I don't eat dairy (I think it causes my asthma and it may have contributed to my WED/RLS). I got almost all of my daily calories from almonds and sardines, and whatever other high-Ca non-dairy foods I forget now, so my diet sucked. So glad when I found out my bone density was fine! Do you eat dairy?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Kathryn60

Post by Kathryn60 »

Hi Beth,

Thank you for letting me know that. I will try getting the sardines and nuts then. I ended up going back on the calcium and also do the daily yogart and I can tell that I'm doing better by my long fingernails. the last time I checked my bone density was borderline osteoporosis so I hope this helps!

Kathryn60

Post by Kathryn60 »

Beth,

I just looked up the calcium intake of sardines and was amazed! It's way more than my yogart! I also want to thank you for letting me know that calcium supplements are not very effective. I was wondering why I kept taking calcium and wasn't seeing very good results. I also looked online and saw that foods with phytic acid are not good for calcium or iron absorption so I will be incorporating that bit of wisdom into my diet as well.

Kathryn60

Post by Kathryn60 »

Beth,

one more thing, and it's important. I just looked online again and saw the research that calcium supplements can even be detrimental to your health! Yikes, I'm so glad I posted on this subject and very glad that you responded!

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

Kathryn60 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:19 am
I just looked online again and saw the research that calcium supplements can even be detrimental to your health!
There are conflicting views on this. This review https://academic.oup.com/advances/artic ... 63/4557950 basically says that the studies linking calcium to higher mortality (mostly from cardiovascular issues) are deeply flawed. To me, neither the science for or against calcium supplements is very convincing.

badnights

Post by badnights »

There are conflicting views on this. This review https://academic.oup.com/advances/artic ... 63/4557950 basically says that the studies linking calcium to higher mortality (mostly from cardiovascular issues) are deeply flawed. To me, neither the science for or against calcium supplements is very convincing.
I agree, that's why I didn't make any definitive statements in my post. But in general, it's always best to get nutrients from food if you can.

Since you can eat yogurt, Kathy, you can probably eat cheese too, so when you get sick of sardines, up the dairy. But sardines can be hidden, like anchovies they can be hidden in a meat sauce for pasta (but they give it a bit of a taste...), and they can be blended with tahini, mustard, oil, and whatever seasonings you like to make a salad dressing.

Not just any nuts, I think almonds are the highest in calcium - but soak them first to reduce the phytates. And take vitamin D, which neutralizes phytates but is used up in the process.

Some interesting points that I just came across:
  • "one can conclude that the growth of healthy bones requires a diet high in vitamin D, absorbable calcium and absorbable phosphorus, and a diet low in unabsorbable calcium (supplements, pasteurized dairy) and unabsorbable phosphorus (phytates)."
  • "experiments have shown that while whole grains contain more minerals, in the end equal or lower amounts of minerals are absorbed compared to polished rice and white flour. This outcome is primarily a result of the blocking mechanism of phytic acid, but may be secondarily the result of other anti-nutrients"
  • "In general, a combination of acidic soaking for considerable time and then cooking will reduce a significant portion of phytate in grains and legumes."
  • "Soaking in salt water and then dehydrating to make “crispy nuts” makes the nuts more digestible and less likely to cause intestinal discomfort, but we don’t know whether this process significantly reduces phytic acid, although it is likely to reduce at least a portion of the phytic acid"
    Lots of info on that site...
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

badnights wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:06 am
Not just any nuts, I think almonds are the highest in calcium - but soak them first to reduce the phytates.
I agree with the rest of your post, but disagree here. It's true that almonds are rich in calcium, but they also have VERY high concentrations of oxalates. And oxalic acid will bind calcium in the highly acidic environment of your stomach to a salt that can't be broken up in our body, so it's excreted (and may form calcium oxalate kidney stones if we don't drink enough). So yes, the calcium is in there, but it's not available to our body -- in fact, almonds have a negative effect on magnesium and calcium in our body. (So does spinach.)

To give some perspective: For a low oxalate diet, it is recommended to stay below 50mg of oxalic acid per day. For a "normal" diet (what our ancestors would consume), we're at roughly 100-150mg per day. 100g almonds contain over 600mg of oxalic acid, or 12-fold of the daily allowance on a low oxalate diet.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Frunobulax wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:08 am
badnights wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:06 am
Not just any nuts, I think almonds are the highest in calcium - but soak them first to reduce the phytates.
I agree with the rest of your post, but disagree here. It's true that almonds are rich in calcium, but they also have VERY high concentrations of oxalates. And oxalic acid will bind calcium in the highly acidic environment of your stomach to a salt that can't be broken up in our body, so it's excreted (and may form calcium oxalate kidney stones if we don't drink enough). So yes, the calcium is in there, but it's not available to our body -- in fact, almonds have a negative effect on magnesium and calcium in our body. (So does spinach.)

To give some perspective: For a low oxalate diet, it is recommended to stay below 50mg of oxalic acid per day. For a "normal" diet (what our ancestors would consume), we're at roughly 100-150mg per day. 100g almonds contain over 600mg of oxalic acid, or 12-fold of the daily allowance on a low oxalate diet.
You're absolutely right!
Thanks

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

My understanding is that, if you take calcium, you need to also take magnesium and vitamins D and K. Vitamin K keeps the calcium out of the arteries and moves it to the bones and teeth, where it belongs. I was diagnosed years ago with osteoporosis, when I was super skinny after taking Xyrem for several years for narcolepsy. (I do miss having a metabolism, but not the anxiety side effect!) Since then I've gained a lot of weight, and I'm fairly sure I've built up some bone density again. I missed the bottom step a week ago and fell hard onto concrete onto my knee and twisted my ankle hard. I have so many friends and relatives who have taken softer falls than that and ended up breaking arms and feet, so I'm doubting that my bones are all that fragile now.

When I was diagnosed with osteoporosis, my doctor said to take more D, and that was all. But I know that in Japan, they treat osteoporosis with vit. K2-MK4 menatretinone.

I wish calcium helped my RLS since I live on dairy.
Susan