RLS destroying my sleep

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
avaneendra

RLS destroying my sleep

Post by avaneendra »

Hello Everyone,
I am a new member here. I used to have very mild RLS starting in early 40s, but managed it with ALA supplements. But lately it is getting worser and impacting my sleep.
I read through some of the posts I found that a lot of people found low oxalate food is helping. What is oxalate dump means?. I am vegetarian and I don't eat egg also. Wondering if anyone here were able to find the low oxalate diet that helped.

I also found this video on oxlate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHn169caXDY

According this doctor, some of the antibiotics would destroy the oxalobacter formigenes bacteria. oxalobacter formigenes bacteria is responsible for breaking down the oxlates before the body absorbs. Based on that does oxalobacter formigenes probiotics should help?. Anyone tried?.

thanks
-Avaneendra

notnowdad

Re: RLS destroying my sleep

Post by notnowdad »

Avaneendra, oxalate is a stable form of oxalic acid. Our bodies produce oxalic acid as a waste product in our livers. When things are working well we excrete it in our urine. When things aren’t working well excess oxalate can accumulate in our tissues. Some scientists say that avoiding oxalate by eating a low oxalate diet will cause our bodies to use the opportunity of reduced oxalate loading to “dump” oxalate which has accumulated in our tissues. Therefore, eating a low oxalate diet may cause the free oxalate level in the body to rise and negatively affect the person’s well being for a brief period before the benefits of eating a low oxalate diet begin to happen. Some of those scientists recommend it is best to reduce your oxalate ingestion slowly so as not to trigger the dumping. I didn’t personally experience this phenomenon when I realized that I could control my RLS by reducing oxalate in my diet. I recommend you read all my posts on this website. They should be helpful to you. I wish you all the best. Jim Hejl

avaneendra

Post by avaneendra »

notnowdad wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:14 pm
Avaneendra, oxalate is a stable form of oxalic acid. Our bodies produce oxalic acid as a waste product in our livers. When things are working well we excrete it in our urine. When things aren’t working well excess oxalate can accumulate in our tissues. Some scientists say that avoiding oxalate by eating a low oxalate diet will cause our bodies to use the opportunity of reduced oxalate loading to “dump” oxalate which has accumulated in our tissues. Therefore, eating a low oxalate diet may cause the free oxalate level in the body to rise and negatively affect the person’s well being for a brief period before the benefits of eating a low oxalate diet begin to happen. Some of those scientists recommend it is best to reduce your oxalate ingestion slowly so as not to trigger the dumping. I didn’t personally experience this phenomenon when I realized that I could control my RLS by reducing oxalate in my diet. I recommend you read all my posts on this website. They should be helpful to you. I wish you all the best. Jim Hejl
notnowdad,
Thanks for your response. I will check out your posts. I collected some list of low oxalate diets online. Here are some of the links that I found useful.

https://www.winchesterhospital.org/heal ... ?id=196214

This database is very useful:
https://kidneycop.com/oxalate-values-for-foods/

badnights

Post by badnights »

avaneendra wrote:According this doctor, some of the antibiotics would destroy the oxalobacter formigenes bacteria. oxalobacter formigenes bacteria is responsible for breaking down the oxlates before the body absorbs. Based on that does oxalobacter formigenes probiotics should help?. Anyone tried?.
Is there such a probiotic? Who sells it?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.