New to Kratom

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Brooker1980

New to Kratom

Post by Brooker1980 »

Hello Fellow RLS Persons,

I am fairly new to using Kratom. I have been using it for a few months now. Originally, my doctor prescribed me Pramipexole for my RLS and it worked wonders at first. However, after about a year and half of using the pramipexole my body started to argument to it. Augmentation is not fun - as many of us know. :) Looking for alternative solution, I found Kratom. It does help a lot and I am fan. However, I am finding that the suggested serving of 4 grams is not enough to alleviate my RLS. To help keep the dosage amounts that I need to take of both the pramipexole and Kratom lower, I do switch between using the kratom and pramipexole periodically.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the quantity that use of Kratom to alleviate their RLS symptoms? Also, I would love any recommendations of reputable vendors to purchase Kratom from. I have purchased from Kat's Botanicals and do like them. Any tips and/or pointers to using Kratom for RLS is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

- Brooke

Bridgercan

Re: New to Kratom

Post by Bridgercan »

Hey Brooke—Welcome! I hope you find the forum as helpful and supportive as I.

I’ve used Kratom off and on for some years for RLS. It was a godsend the two times I augmented! It’s not my favorite thing in the world to take (taste, smell, indigestion), but it’s less awful than Rx opioids to manage breakthrough symptoms. Nevertheless, it helps as to supplement when stress, over exhaustion, and/or overexertion ramp up symptoms. I’m currently on buprenorphine films (Belbuca), which has been the best med for me yet.

I use about 3 grams in capsule form; that seems to be my sweet spot. Less than that, kratom will have its known paradoxical stimulant effect; more than that would be dangerously sedating, at least for me (I’m a total lightweight to anything with sedative properties). The only strain I buy is red borneo from Kraken: little to no psychotropic effect, relaxing, sleep inducing. I’ve recently started ordering their gummies when they’re on sale. A sliver of one piece dissolved under my tongue seems to bring relief in under an hour.

I’d feel uncomfortable if I didn’t say be careful. Experiment cautiously. Different strains can have wildly different effects on different individuals. It sounds like you’ve found a supplier you like and trust, and that is the key part. Even though I’ve bought the same strain and preparation for years from Kraken, I once received a batch that was quite unpleasant and had to be thrown out.

May you find consistent symptom relief and hopefully kratom can be an effective addition to your treatment kit!