Quotes from 2 Legendary RLS Researchers connecting RLS to Inflammation

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
CalmLegsJL

Re: Quotes from 2 Legendary RLS Researchers connecting RLS to Inflammation

Post by CalmLegsJL »

Rustsmith wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 pm
Since this thread cannot seem to come to a conclusion and since Dr Weinstock is repeatedly cited as "one of the world's greatest exterts on RLS", I decided to use the same tools to investigate him that I would if I saw a citation in my own field of study from someone that I had never heard of before.

What I found was that Dr Leonard Weinstock is a Gastroenterologist with the University of Washington in St. Louis, Missouri. He has a number of publications, but the majority of them have to do with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Crohn's Disease and SIBO. Out of all of his publications the only ones on RLS that did not exclude anyone that did not also have IBS or SIBO were the one cited above, one where he found no correlation be Long Covid and RLS and one or two where he tried to use Low Dose Naloxone to treat RLS (a fad about 10 years ago that went no where).

There is no question that any intestinal condition that limits iron adsorption is going to have a correlation with RLS. I have a friend with severe Crohn's and he struggles just to get general nutrition, much less a proper balance of vitamins and minerals (like iron).

What I found interesting was what was missing from his list of publications. Often, holes in investigational data can be just as important as what appears (negative proofs). In the case of Dr Weinstock, he is located in the same town the current president of the RLS Foundation, a doctor who is a leading pediatric RLS expert as well as an RLS researcher and who also has RLS herself. Why did Dr Weinstock find it necessary to have Dr Walters (of Vanderbilt University) co-write his publication? My guess is that he simply needed Dr Walter's to contribute his expertise in the then current understanding of the role of genetics in RLS.
This from a person taking a drug(s) not created for the condition of RLS prescribed by a doctor that has no clue what causes RLS.
Personal attacks are not appropriate. Please stick to the points that you wish to make.
I'm happy that over 300 people have viewed this post. So regardless of the replies, that's a positive.

Let's cleanse the palate and conclude with this ... the same quotes that this thread started with.

"Our study suggests that RLS may be mediated through inflammatory or immunological mechanisms. Since inflammation is also associated with iron deficiency, these results are also in agreement with the iron deficiency hypothesis for RLS." - Dr. Arthur Walters, MD, Professor of Neurology, Vanderbilt Department of Neurology

"I have thoroughly analyzed every known scientific study that has been done on Restless Legs Syndrome. Taking all of this data into consideration, there is no doubt in my mind that inflammation plays a major role in the occurrence of RLS. I see this time and time again with many patient types." - Dr. Leonard Weinstock, MD, Certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, St. Louis, MO