marijuana

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
malindse

Post by malindse »

I think that's great you are able to get it easily and legally. It's also a plus that you are able to know for sure what type it is you are really getting. I know you're not the only one that feels like a junkie. Prescribed or non prescribed. We all struggle to find what works for us and some of those you cannot get easily. I don't think the doctors seem to realize that there are those of us with RLS that have major pain 24/7. You know it's that thing that only happens at night! Not!

Good luck with the Mirapex. I hope you get some relief with it.

It's interesting what we look back on from earlier years. It sounds like alot of us have used benadryl to try to get sleep. I did that for years and never realized until I learned about RLS that I was making it worse. We all live and learn with this.
Meg

My school teachers were right! I couldn't sit still then and I still can't.

bluefin

It works for me

Post by bluefin »

This is an old topic, but I just wanted to say MJ is working for me. I have been using it for only two nights now, but have had two nights of good sleep. I tried it about a year ago and it had no effect. How long it’s going to work now I don’t know. Maybe this is a different strain of MJ I have now. I do feel a little groggy in morning, with the three puffs I tried so I will cut back to two puffs tonight then to one and see if it still works.
To those that have tried, and it has not worked in past, try a different or stronger type.
As far as the illegal aspect goes, If you suffer as I do, if you have been so tired that you are suicidal, if the side effects of all the drugs you are taking are destroying your body.
I don’t think you would give tinkers damn.
Best Bill

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That's great that it's working for you, Bill!
Susan

gymper

Post by gymper »

Marijuana works well for me in combination with requip. It helps with the nausea as well. I usually take two hits at night and then if I wake up in the night with RLS I take two more hits and go right back to sleep. I have a medical marijuana license here in California. The edible works well too.

gymper

Post by gymper »

Oh also - indica strains of marijuana work better. The Kushes, hash plants, etc. They tend to work on the body rather than the mind more which helps with pain, multiple schlerosis, shingles, RLS, etc.

Nicky

Post by Nicky »

I thought some of the stronger skunks used to aggrevate my rls somewhat. But I invested in an i-Inhale which is a device that super heats the MJ & you inhale the vapor (no niccotine & no inhalation of the detritous). I have found this very effective for sleep & the pain (I still take 2mg of requip). Older inhalers were noisy, expensive, large, cumbersome & involved filling a poly bag with vapor to inhale. This hand held thingy is more the size of a mobile phone. I tend to use a stongish skunk (if available) & have a few puffs between 8pm & 9pm. If I have it later I feel a bit wired & it keeps me awake. This way there is a 'hit' but it passes & I'm more sleepy by bedtime or my body is more accepting of sleep or I'm not PLMDing as much (I'm not sure which). I have also found that keeping a sleep diary is very useful. I keep track of my sleep hygiene & factors that may have had an effect on my sleep. I have now had an extended period of reasonable sleep and my dreams have returned (I stopped having them for years and I had my first lucid dream last night!) I know that this is not a perfect solution, and will probably vary in it's effectiveness for me (which is why the diary is so helpful). It won't suit everyone but for the moment it's getting me through.
Nicky