Excellent treatment -helped tremendously for me. Please read

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mich711

Excellent treatment -helped tremendously for me. Please read

Post by mich711 »

People, I've struggled horribly with plmd and rls for over 8 years now. I believe I had a predisposition to having rls/plmd, but I strongly believe that my severe sleep deprivation and medications have brought this on. I cannot work because of it. I had over 800 leg movements in the sleep lab -I'm beyond severe. So, if things have helped me, I strongly believe it can help you. Keep in mind that this is not a permanent cure for most or all, but it has helped tremendously.

I went to an integrative doctor who did urine, saliva, and blood work. Basically, she looked for deficiencies in vitamins, minerals, and most importantly neurotransmitters. Bottom line -she put me on natural supplements that increased some amino acids based on my lab work. Also, had me on magnesium. The supplements I'm on are Kavinace and Travacor (the latter took a few days to get used to -sleep at first got worse, but then remarkably got much better). The magnesium worked fabulously the first day, then with each day didn't help as much. But, overall, has made improvements. You can get these supplements without a doctor's prescription, but please see an integrative doctor for management as well as tests. You might find that other supplements will work for you, and not these as much.

Oh, and now I will be starting L-Theanine.

Some supplements are for kids too.

This is no bull. I'm truly one of the worst cases, and these have helped. Don't get me wrong -I still struggle many days of the week, but at least my sleep has improved several days a week a great deal, and my worst days not as bad.

If you have any questions, you can email me at ttttfriedman1@hotmail.com

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I truly am thrilled you have been helped. And I hope that this works for others. Over the years magnesium has been listed as something that works for people. Oddly, the recent studies done by the medical community show that it doesn't help. Not sure of why the disconnect.

I do know it never helped me. It was one of the first things I tried because it was over the counter and I didn't think it would hurt me and was inexpensive, etc. No effect.

I have found a few other supplements to help me some, however, so highly recommend each person trying multiple things to see if any of them help. Other supplements/vitamins that people have found that help include:

Vitamins E, D, and B6, B12, and B complex
Calcium
Iron (should never take without first having an iron test)
Tyrosine
Gaba 750
CoQ10
AllCalm
Mucuna Pruriens
Melatonin
Calcium
Calcium, Zinc, and magnesium together
Valerian root
NADH
FOlic acid
Magnalife
Nerve-fix
Glutamine
Cal-mag citrate
Zinc
Magnesium
L-Glutathione
Ginko Biloba
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.