marijuana stigma/guilt

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Aiken

Post by Aiken »

doety--

So you're running a stable dose of MJ? We've had a few folks recently who've sung its virtues, only to develop some tolerance that reduced the effect or caused them to up the dose.

If so, I bet it's the combination of MJ and methadone that you're using. I would bet that's fairly unique in the field of RLS treatment. They're such different drugs that, even if you were to develop a tolerance to both of them, the two inadequate doses might still combine to make an adequate result.

Interesting...
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

MattNW

Post by MattNW »

There are two different classes of MJ, Sativa and Indica. One causes more anxiety than the other. I forget which one is which but you can google either Sativa or Indica and probably find out. In general for RLS you want the one that produces a physical "body buzz".

I've tried it myself and MJ does a great job for me and at doses low enough that I don't get "high". The only problem is that it's very illegal where I live. This state is still stuck in a "Reefer Madness" mindset and they don't give a hoot about medical uses. So, I've tried some of the MJ alternatives. One in particular that uses a synthetic cannabinoid called JWH_018 seems to work as well for me as real MJ and it's still legal at the moment although no telling when that will change.

Anxiety on MJ can also be environmentally related. Be sure to smoke (actually vaporizing is better because there is less smoke to inhale) in a calm relaxing environment with low light and soft relaxing music with no outside distractions. Effects (for me anyway) are almost immediate. You should feel some results in less than five minutes. Smoke just before going to bed and try to put all the daytime stress out of mind before smoking.

Hugo_Westinghouse

Post by Hugo_Westinghouse »

I feel badly reading about those who live in states with very rigid marijuana laws. Marijuana seems to offer some nice relief to a number of RLSers and it's relatively cheap and safe.
Although I don't condone breaking the law, you might consider the pros and cons of carrying a little MJ on you and smoking it to relieve RLS sensations. It's quite a dilemma, obviously...