In so much pain!!

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jml945

In so much pain!!

Post by jml945 »

Is there any non-pharm treatment for RLS? I am in agony today, and I don't have any way of dealing with the pain. I am on .25 mg of Mirapex and it doesn't seem to work at all. I take it at night but my legs twitch throughout the night and it seems like I don't get any relief. What should I do? Is there something my doc could give me to give me any immediate relief?
DX: GAD, Panic Disorder, RLS
RX: Lexapro (30mg daily), Mirapex (.25mg daily), Xanax (.5mg as needed)

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I never found a non pharm remedy that worked well for me. Sometimes temporary relief came with very cold water, feet in a bucket of icy water and splash it up around the legs. Or a cold shower around the legs. It always took at least 15 minutes to work, but only lasted for a short while, to try to get to sleep.

At present I use requip, and also codeine or tramadol for breakthrough symptoms. But still have some difficulties.

Have you asked your doc for pain relief to supplement your mirapex as needed?

Sorry I don't know a lot about meds. Is it only recently that your dosage of mirapex has not worked or has it never fully worked.

Sounds like a doc visit is in order.

I am sure others will soon give you fuller advice.

In the meantime I am so sorry you are feeling so bad.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sorry JM, I've just seen in another thread that you have been on mirapex for some months and that you are going to see your doc.

Good luck, please let us know what he says. I hope he can help you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jml945

Post by jml945 »

I made an appointment for tomorrow at noon. I am going to ask if there is anything I can take to help break these terrible episodes. In the past I have taken xanax for anxiety and it seems to (sort of) kill two birds with one stone. Maybe he can give me some of that or some painkillers.
DX: GAD, Panic Disorder, RLS
RX: Lexapro (30mg daily), Mirapex (.25mg daily), Xanax (.5mg as needed)

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I have never taken mirapex or any other parkinson meds, but I believe I have read on this messasge board that some experience pain while taking mirapex. you might wish to do research on that before seeing your Dr. tomorrow.

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

jm, looks like we are about the same age? I have had RLS all my life. Do you remember "growing pains"?

I have taken Requip and am presently on Mirapex. Both worked fine for the jumpy legs; but not the related pain. I take Norco for that. It's Hydroco/apap 10/325. Like Lortab but less tylenol. Some days the pain is worse than others. I can't find a connection. Last night I forgot to take the Mirapex and did not even notice. And then some days and nights the 2/ .25mg is not enough. I tried Tramedol with no helpful results. And I've also tried many non-pharm things that did not work.

I think every one is different and you just have to experiment. I"m sorry I did not get to you before your dr's appt. How did it go? Does he know anything about RLS? (some don't)

Don't give up...there is something out there that will work...maybe it will just take more of it...Good luck...Pat