Something(s) That Worked For Me

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
EELaB

Something(s) That Worked For Me

Post by EELaB »

I am new to this board; this is my first post although I have been reading this forum for over a year.
I have had RLS most of my life, arms and legs, and in recent years it had rapidly progressed to a place where I could not travel, sit through a movie, and sleep...well, forget sleep. One VicodinES before bed helped but occasionally I'd waken due to symptoms when it wore off in the middle of the night and have to get up for a second one.

About a year ago I was forced by circumstances to find treatment through alternative medicine's offerings. Through weeks of costly trial-and-error experimentation finally discovered something(s) that brought symptomatic relief; it has been about a year now so I can safely say it has truly helped me:

1.) A product called "Easy Iron" (iron GLYCINATE) from a chain store called "Vitamin World", www.vitaminworld.com
I tried regular forms of iron and it did nothing; only the iron glycinate worked.

2.) A product called "Triple Magnesium" from a mail-order outfit called "Swanson Health Products", www.swansonvitamins.com
This has three different forms of magnesium.

I am not promoting either of these companies; I have included the source information only because these particular item forms are not easy to find.

Also, I have recently added "coca tea" as it has a pleasant mellowing effect that helps sleep. There are several brands of this available. Yes, it is legal in the US but has to be mail-ordered from Peru or Bolivia. Amazon.com has pages for it but it is listed as not yet available. I am supposing this to mean it will be available in the near future.

I hope this helps someone; it is my best wish that all of you can find relief somehow as I know by long experience how awful RLS can be. I realize what works for one might not work for all.

Elizabeth LaBozetta
Columbus, Ohio