Ibuprofen 600 mg.

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sleuth

Ibuprofen 600 mg.

Post by Sleuth »

I printed out the list of drugs to avoid if you have RLS. I didn't see Ibuprofen on the list. I am taking 600 mg. three times a day for an inflamed heel.

Reading about the side effects on the internet, I found:

Ibuprofen may increase the blood levels of lithium (Eskalith) by reducing the excretion of lithium by the kidneys.

Lithium is on the list of drugs to avoid. Now I'm wondering if the Ibuprofen is appropriate.

Thanks.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

How long will you be on the high dose of ibuprofen? It might not matter if it's not too long. Many such effects are cumulative, and it may be that the increase in lithium is small over short periods. (I don't have the slightest clue one way or the other... you'd want to ask a professional.)

You could also look at using a different NSAID that gives more bang per buck, e.g. Aleve, or I think there's an even newer one that's stronger yet. It may be that you'll get more NSAID effect without increasing the effect on your kidneys. Again, I'm not sure; I'm just offering talking points for you to use with someone who does know.

(Note my signature.)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I was taking Piroxicam for a couple of weeks. I found I was unable to put one foot in front of the other and lost my balance a lot. I almost fell down in my own apartment. That's why the doctor prescribed the Ibuprofen. He said is milder.

This drug worked perfectly. However, a day or two after stopping it, the symptoms came back worse than ever. I wonder if it worked as a pain killer rather than an anti-inflamatory.

I take Aleve over-the-counter whenever I have a problem with muscle pain or such. I didn't know it was stronger than this medicine.