unisom??

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
eli711

unisom??

Post by eli711 »

has anyone heard if this over the counter sleep medication helps RLS at all? or do you know of any others?
EKC

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

eli - as far as I know, all of the OTC meds use things like antihistamines to put us to sleep. These exacerbate RLS is the vast majority of us. While a few of us can take these, most of us have horror stories to go with what happens when we try them.

In high school, I remember taking something for a sinus attack - maybe Contac or Dristan. I am sure the forumla is different now, but back then, it was one of the worst days of my life! I couldn't stay awake, but my RLS was horrible. I kept trying to wake up enough to move, but couldn't.

I know I won't try any of these! But, my story isn't everyone's story. If you decide to try them, just try a small amount.

Oh, there is a list of medications, right on this very website, that can bother you. Take the link in my signature. That thread lists lots of great info, including a link to the post about medications not to take.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I can take Unisom (the blue tablets with doxylamine), and I've heard from a few others with RLS that it works for them as well. But the gel caps have diphenhydramine (brand name Benedryl) and that stuff is usually pretty bad for making the RLS go crazy. Most of the sedating antihistamines can make the RLS go nuts, so it's good to pay attention to what's in your allergy meds, sleep meds, or cold meds.
Susan