Synthetic Cannabinoid JWH-018 - - Works For Me

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
MattNW

Synthetic Cannabinoid JWH-018 - - Works For Me

Post by MattNW »

I tried Marijuana for RLS. It worked great. One or two tokes and I can feel my legs start to relax. It wasn't really enough to make me "high". The problem is that where I live it's highly illegal.

Then I found out about a synthetic cannabinoid called JWH-018. It's a cannabinoid but it's chemically completely different from THC so it doesn't come under any current legislation in most states (check the legality locally before trying). I got some and tried it. Same response as real MJ without the side effect of loosing your freedom for a couple years.

Advantages: #1 It's available locally and legally. #2 It works exactly like MJ in treating RLS except maybe a little slower onset but still within 5 minutes you should feel some relief. #3 You can smoke it, vaporize it or eat it (eating will take much longer for it to work but you won't wake up in the morning coughing and choking).

Disadvantages: #1 It's a little known chemical so long term health risks may apply. #2 It's gaining popularity so will likely come under some form of government restriction sooner or later. #3 Like MJ it can cause anxiety.

Experiments are ongoing but so far it's worked great for me. I've been trying it for a couple weeks. Slight resistance but not a lot. We'll see in another week or two.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks for the information. It's already on the DEA's radar: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugs_concern/spice/spice_jwh018.htm

I would be concerned about both short term and long term safety, being that it's not regulated in any way. I prefer my remedies to be studied and standardized, but I do understand the appeal of unregulated drugs. I'm not fond of the DEA at all, and think that they should butt out of medicine in general, and just let doctors decide what to prescribe.
Susan

MattNW

Post by MattNW »

Yeah that is one drawback. Another I forgot to post is that it is an herbal mix with JWH-018 sprayed on. Who knows what effects those other herbs have and each "Spice" blend has a different mix.

I'd much rather have real MJ. It's been around much longer and the safety is known but since that isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future I take what I can find. What I hate about seeing any compound coming under regulation is that once it does the beneficial properties are quickly forgotten and research on any potential medical uses is almost non-existent. The government has a procedure for getting a waiver to study scheduled compounds but those are very hard to get and few and far between. One researcher has been trying now for almost 20 years to get a waiver to study marijuana and is no farther along than when he started. It all makes me want to move to a state where medical MJ is legal. Unfortunately there's no way I can afford to move so I find what I can that works.

Hugo_Westinghouse

Post by Hugo_Westinghouse »

The criminalization of MJ drives me up the WALL, especially when it's so easy for people to pick up far more dangerous but legal pharmaceuticals if they just know the right doctor.
People need access to the drugs that make them better. MJ has amazing befits for all kinds of diseases. Why it's not being hailed by lawmakers as the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond me.