Could The Culprit Be Chocolate?

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
bart

Could The Culprit Be Chocolate?

Post by bart »

There is a stimulant that can kill dogs and horses by causing epileptic seizures. Kinda sounds like RLS doesn't it? Unfortunately, we all consume that stimulant, because the main source for it is chocolate. The stimulant is called theobromine. Google it and you will find all you need to know. I love chocolate, but have learned to consume it in moderation, and never late in the day. Wouldn't it be a great way to start the new year if tomorrow you do not have chocolate in any form, and tomorrow night you sleep like a baby? It isn't hard to find out, theobromine only stays in your system about twelve hours.

I pray you've found the answer
Bart

thib2

Post by thib2 »

I have suspected that chocolate is an issue for me as well but have kept eating it, sometimes too much. I have been abstinate for a couple of weeks now- Except 2 days ago I broke and ate too much. (Candy dish at work). I also ate wheat so it was hard to tell which it was but now I will experiment. Like many other warnings- i.e. not for pregnant woment. I always think, "if it's not good for them why is it ok for me?" Thanks....

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Chocolate never seems to affect my RLS. The only food that I know of that does is ice cream. Coffee doesn't bother me either. I have to be careful with the ice cream, it can really make the RLS bad. And I have read that ice cream affects other RLSers too.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

JPT99

Post by JPT99 »

Chocolate for me - definitely.

Aggrevates it like nothing else other than cigarette smoke.

veldon7

Chocolate

Post by veldon7 »

Hi I've been on the site before, but it's been a long time. Chocolate, Caffeine, sugar makes my RLS worse. :cry:

SmartKat

That would be a NIGHTMARE for me!

Post by SmartKat »

No chocolate? Life woudl be over!!!

But if anything could get me to stop eating chocolate, that would be the promise of no more RLS!