aluminum connection to RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
NatWest

aluminum connection to RLS

Post by NatWest »

I recently found relief from my RLS symptoms when I eliminated aluminum. I discovered when I had a recent stomach ailment, and was taking Mylanta, that my rls symptoms became very severe. I read the ingredient label and saw that Mylanta was made from aluminum. I immediately stopped taking it, I also switched to a natural deodorant from an anti-perspirant that contained aluminum, and stopped lining my baking sheets with aluminum foil. Within about 3-4 days my symptoms became 99% better (in my mind I still think I have it, that's the 1%). I read that apple pectin can help to detox aluminum from your body, so I ate apples, and also drank lots of water during those 3-4 days.

I'd been taking Requip for about 18 months, with little success. It seemed to worsen my symptoms, yet when I'd try to cut back, they would get even worse. Since I've cut out the aluminum I'm virtually symptom free. This is a recent occurence, I'm in my 5th week of no symptoms, so I'm holding off saying I'm over it, but if it continues like this for a few more weeks, I will consider myself cured.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this experience, or, if you decide to try it, I'd like to know if it works for you.

Betty/WV

re: aluminum

Post by Betty/WV »

Sounds great. I'm glad you are finding relief. But having had RLS for many many years, forgive me for being suspious. I hope that is your solution for RLS. Years ago I would have RLS for a while then it would get better for awhile, then come back. Then one day it came back and never left. No matter what I did. And I tried everything. Now I am on Mirapex and I do get some relief. The only relief I have had in years.

I am going to try eliminating the aluminum and seeing what happens. But with the Mirapex, how could I tell if it is working? And I don't want to give up the Mirapex just to check it out.

Sounds like you may be augmenting on the Requip. You need to read some of the post on this site about augmenting and see if it sounds like what is happening to you.

Wish you continued sucess. BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand