Broccoli gives me relief

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
notnowdad

Broccoli gives me relief

Post by notnowdad »

I recently joined rls.org because I wanted to share what has been for me a complete relief of symptons for over 60 days. I have found that I can be symptom free if I eat 4 ounces of raw broccoli for breakfast every day. I know it seems unlikely that such a simple thing could make a big difference. It may be that only my particular biochemistry is corrected by this food. But I hope others will try it because it is cheap, easy and without medical side effects.

I am 60 years old, weigh 180 lbs., suffer from mild anemia and reactive hypoglycemia. My symptoms had been getting progressively worse for over 10 years. Sitting for more than an hour was becoming very difficult, the symptoms would get worse during the day and culminate with writhing in bed and difficulty sleeping. The few times I went to the movies in the past few years I spent most of the time standing at the side of the theater.

When I realized I had "rls" I discussed it with my brother who is an orthopedic surgeon. He said he wasn't really familiar with rls, but it sounded like a circulatory problem. From reading the nutritionist’s blog on the Mayo Clinic site, I learned that researchers studying diabetes achieved miraculous improvements in patients’ circulation by feeding them broccoli. I tried broccoli and began improving almost immediately.

I now eat 4 oz. of raw organic broccoli for breakfast with 1 tsp. vinegar and 3 tsp. of olive oil every day. I have been virtually symptom free for 60 days. Cauliflower, a similar cruciferous vegetable, is not as effective. One day I had to make do with some very limp, old broccoli and my symptoms came back for that one day. I have tried reducing to 3.5 oz. and had some return of symptoms (the day was OK, but I was uncomfortable in bed at night).

I have been able to successfully substitute 1 to 1.5 ounces of broccoli sprouts which is reputed to have up to 4 times the sulforafane per ounce as the mature vegetable. I actually find the florets easier to eat. I don’t eat other food at the meal because it seems to be most effective this way. Also, to get the maximum sulforafane, I eat the broccoli raw and chew it thoroughly. On days I just can’t eat it all at breakfast, I finish it up later in the day with no apparent loss in effectiveness.

I realize that the broccoli may be correcting a magnesium deficiency. However, my regular diet is similar to what is prescribed for getting plenty of magnesium. So I don't think that is likely. Because of my blood sugar issues I eat a very careful diet with virtually no caffein and limited use of foods with a high glycemic index. I had been using wine with the evening meal to help relieve the discomfort in my legs.

I am now able to sit at my desk all day, take long drives in the car and lie comfortably in bed. I wish all other sufferers the very best is dealing with this debilitating affliction.

Neco

Post by Neco »

RLS isn't connected to the circulatory system in any way, that I know of.

I think what may be happening, is the broccoli is helping you keep your iron levels up, since it is a high iron food source (if I recall correctly).

Being that one of the causes of RLS can be an iron deficiency, and that you are also anemic, I think it is the iron from the broccoli that is likely helping you the most.

But I'm not a doctor so you can take that for what its worth. If you are a candidate for iron infusions (because of your anemia?) you may find that iron infusions would also benefit you. Which could be good if you ever get sick of eating broccoli.

notnowdad

Post by notnowdad »

Bad guess, Zach. I didn't report any improvement in my anemia issues as a result of eating the broccoli because I haven't had any. My rls improvement has occurred in spite of no improvement with the anemia.

BTW, I make no claim about whether rls is a circulatory issue. I'm not any more of a medical expert than you are. I just reported how I got to my breakthrough because I thought it might foster some new thinking.

bekull

Post by bekull »

Why raw and not cooked broccoli?

notnowdad

Post by notnowdad »

I read about a study in which the participants who ate raw broccoli had a higher level of the beneficial anti-oxidant sulforafame in their blood, when compared to those who ate cooked broccoli. I don't know if that chemical is the key to my good result. I started my experiments with cooked, but didn't get as consistent result. In my experience the raw seems to work better at suppressing the symptoms. Now that I have stabilized myself I will probably try the steamed again. I will let you know how that goes.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well, RLS being what it is. It's anyobodies guess.

But I have a normal iron level and still have RLS. It could just as easily be, that while your iron intake hasn't helped your anemia at all, you have regained enough iron that your system is balanced out in regards to causing your RLS symptoms.

Or it could easily be something else in the broccoli too. It's just too hard to tell in these cases, when we aren't being supervised in a clinical study type environment.

But it seems clear that you saw a great improvement after you started your broccoli intake, and that is a good thing, because it is working for you to relieve your RLS.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I guess my question would be if what you have is RLS, or some other condition that looks like RLS but is related to circulation. You say that you "realized that you have RLS" but have you ever been diagnosed by a doctor who treats it? You can read the diagnostic criteria at the main http://www.rls.org web page.

I would never begrudge anyone relief from RLS or anything like it, and I'm glad the broccoli works for you. Perhaps you had some nutritional deficiency that is being addressed. I've heard that magnesium helps some people, B vitamins help some people, etc., but those are usually cases where the person is deficient to begin with, because studies don't back up any treatment with various nutrients, at least not yet. At any rate, the broccoli certainly has to be good for you and should offer many health benefits.
Susan

bekull

Post by bekull »

notnowdad - love the name:

I really appreciate you posting this information. I am always trying to find non-pharm solutions to this very complicated problem we call RLS. I am to the point where I know my triggers and can control the off the wall symptoms, but I am seriously seeking relief from the constant, under the skin symptoms that require medication in order to sleep. I want to be off the meds and am always willing to try new, natural remedies that might bring me to my goal.

Thanks again!

notnowdad

Post by notnowdad »

Thank you for the kind words, bekull.

I have had another thought about the results I have been getting. I always consume some fat along with the broccoli. I have read that some beneficial chemicals in plants can only be assimilated if they are consumed along with fats. I don't know if this applies to whatever is in the broccoli that is helping me, but it is something to keep in mind.

Let me know if you have a good result. When I started my experiment I was having a smaller portion of cooked broccoli or cauliflower on a daily basis and I noticed improvement fairly quickly. It was several months before I went to the large serving of raw broccoli which gives me complete relief of symptoms.