A Natural RLS Remedy that will work for EVERYONE

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
becat

Post by becat »

Thanks Corrie, same to you. I hope that all is near control or manageable.

I know my body is truly paying for not sleeping and the chronic pain....not normal to all..... is really changing my life in ways I had no idea about.

I hope like you, for all of us, that progression is just out of the option.

Hugs back. Nice to see you. I love the way you make me think. :)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I just found this and was happy to see some published research that applied to this topic.

I'd seen the link between RLS and Crohn's before but didn't see anything related to inflammation. 35% of those with Crohn's have RLS and it appears that they do not have iron insufficiency; inflammation may be part of the problem.

Some specific chemical is thought to be the cause of inflammation and this can inhibit iron transport (or something with iron - I'm not looking at the article, so I may not have this exactly correct, but it is hopefully the gist); this creates a situation akin to an iron insufficiency even though the iron is in the body.

Given that this may be what causes RLS in Crohn's patients, it could also be the cause of RLS in some of those with idiopathic RLS. Anyone with regular iron and ferritin might consider this as something that would cause their RLS.

Based on what they are saying (and not saying) my guess is that this does not apply to anyone with low hemoglobin (that is the cause of low iron) or low ferritin (again, that is the cause, not this chemical). It may be that this is related to the type of gene you have for RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

BB_CRNA

Re: A Natural RLS Remedy that will work for EVERYONE

Post by BB_CRNA »

Interesting. I had lost control of my RLS, and having a terrible time sleeping, then took two nsaids out of desperation. It worked. But nsaids , especially long term use, are dangerous.
I changed my diet, less carbs the better, and switched to curcumin, boswelia and white willow wood. It is working.
There are less scientic studies of these supplements, but there are thousands of years are use in human history.
Remember, Docs are educated, after medical school, by drug companies. So there is no money in teaching them about unpantentable supplements. So......Docs are ignorant on this subject. I believe it is my duty to tell my health providrrs about these substances.
As Mom used to say, the proof is in the pudding (results)!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It is great for you that you've found what works for you and hope it continues long term.
Sometimes tweaking and adjustments become necessary. Good luck.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Ata

Post by Ata »

I just check your website, could you outline the amounts needed to be taken and how long before you see results ? Thanks

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ata wrote:I just check your website, could you outline the amounts needed to be taken and how long before you see results ? Thanks
The original poster is no longer posting here.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

Ata wrote:I just check your website, could you outline the amounts needed to be taken and how long before you see results ? Thanks
Getting inflammation down is very important. However, I'm also convinced that there is no one cure for everybody. RLS seems to have a lot of different causes and everyone is different.

I scanned the website and gave up after I couldn't really locate what the guy exactly suggests. My anti-inflammatory regiment is ketogenic diet, lots of omega-3, no omega-6, no processed food, some supplements (antioxidants, minerals, vitamins), no lectins and most recently no oxalates. Keys are getting insulin and uric acid levels down (low insulin resistence HOMA-IR), lose weight if you are overweight (fat cells store toxins that you better get out of your system) and avoid inflammatory fatty acids (linoleic acid most importantly). See this thread: http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10599

Ata

Post by Ata »

Thank you I will have a look at it, my apologies for this late reply