RLS Helpers and Hurters

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
davew

RLS Helpers and Hurters

Post by davew »

A short while ago I created a "RLS Remedies" page on my website. For days I scoured the Internet looking for forum postings, articles and studies that presented natural remedies that have helped various RLS Sufferers to lessen their symptoms. No name-brand remedies or pharmaceuticals were included.

http://www.rlcure.com/world.html

What became apparent during this research is that there are certain remedies that have worked for a LOT of different RLS sufferers.

Here are the most popular remedies and antagonists:

VITAMINS
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Vitamin B11 (Folic Acid)
Vitamin B12
Vitamin C
Vitamin E

MINERALS
Calcium / Magnesium
Iron
Potassium
Water
Zinc

HERBS
Butcher's Broom (Ruscus Aculeatus)
Gingko
Valerian Root

TREATMENTS
Acupuncture
Exercise
Yoga

OTHER
Tonic Water (Quinine)
Bar of Soap Under the Sheets

RLS ANTAGONISTS
Alcohol
Aspartame
Caffeine
Gluten (found in Wheat)
Insomnia
MSG (Monosodium Glutamate)
Salt
Sugar
Wheat (products contain Gluten plus additional additives)

I wondered if any of these supplements that people kept mentioning had any anti-inflammatory qualities to them? I also wondered what sort of relationship these antagonists have with inflammation, if any?

What I found was truly amazing!

It turns out that ALL of the above remedies have anti-inflammatory qualities and EVER SINGLE antagonist has inflammation inducing properties.

You can check out my findings and the scientific evidence here:

http://www.rlcure.com/studies.html

David
Last edited by davew on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Your enthusiasm for this topic is unbelievable. Unfortunately so is your information. You're so convinced that RLS is caused by inflammation that you are going to ignore the doctors and scientists who have spent their lives researching the cause and treatments of the condition, and have concluded that it is not caused by inflammation.

Like I've said before, a few times now, RLS is not caused by inflammation. Neuropathy is caused by inflammation and is likely what you're suffering from. Inflammation causes a host of maladies and information on natural anti-inflammatory supplements will be useful to many people. But it's not useful to people on an RLS forum.
Susan

davew

re: RLS and inflammation

Post by davew »

The information on the website is a collection of scientific facts. It's a summary of what doctors and researchers have found in their studies.

It shows that there's an interesting relationship that ALL the RLS remedies and ALL the RLS antagonists have with inflammation.

I'm not presenting an opinion. It's a collection of facts from various studies. I did my best to keep my opinion out of it.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

As a matter of fact I have for the last 10 days taken anti-inflammatory medication. I'm sorry, but it didn't help my RLS at all, nor did it make it worse.

I saw on your website references to the famous piece of soap in the bed as a 'remedy' for RLS. Hope you don't believe that this can help.

Corrie

davew

re: RLS and inflammation

Post by davew »

What anti-inflammatory medication were you taking ... and were you taking any other medication at the time?

If it's not a vitamin, mineral or herb .... in other words, if it's an NSAID (nonsteroid anti-inflammatory drug) you're taking, it doesn't count. These are "natural" remedies / anti-inflammatories that are helping people.

To my knowledge, a NSAID has never helped anyone in regard to RLS symptoms.

becat

Post by becat »

Note on the uses of certain vitamins.

!. Vitamin E should be started very slowly. The smallest dose use to be 50IUs, don't just start at any dose, as this vitamin starts working on muscle first. Your largest muscle is the heart.
Your blood pressure will change as you take Vitamin E, so take it slow.
During my early years of research into vitamins and herbs, I learned that you might go as slow as, only upping the dose of E, after 3 wks. Yes, my own research for 5-6 yrs. to learn all that I was raised to believe and heal with. I needed to know all I could to live healthy. I loved the learning, just too bad about the genetics.

We talk all the time about talking Iron ONLY under a doctor's care. For Good reason, vitamin E should be taken with care and with your doctor's knowledge.

2. B vitamins. There are so many in the B family and the secret is to take them all, not some. The B family loves working together, not apart. So, if taking a B supplement, take a Complex B vitamin, so that you are getting the full result.

3. Cal/Mag......interesting note here. About 5-7 yrs ago a study was done to see if these two taken together is working well?
(sorry brain numb and the right words are lost today)

Come to find out, they should not be taken together or at the same time, separately.

Yup, you'll find them in the same pill, tab, or whatever form, sold together, as one supplement. Nope I have no idea why, but they are sold that way a ton.

Here's the problem. Calcium works against the absorption and use of the Magnesium.

So, in short, split the two into two different supplements and take with different meals.

I also use many enzymes. That is a far longer story. :)

Hope this helps others to understand the natural stuff we can do for ourselves. With facts that matter.

SmartKat

My first case of RLS

Post by SmartKat »

The first night I ever had RLS was when I drank a glass of wine and took a benydril.

Then a year later, I had a death in the family and was on antidepressents for a while. ANy time I drank any wine or took a antihistamine, I would have a flair up or RLS.

This last time was after getting over a stomach virus. I get my electrolytes were out of ballance because I drank gatorade and pedialite for a day and felt much better that night.