Scientists identify inflammation as the primary cause of RLS

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
davew

Scientists identify inflammation as the primary cause of RLS

Post by davew »

This is very exciting news for all RLS sufferers! The paper they have written is under review and should be published soon.

The paper is titled "Restless Legs Syndrome: Theoretical Roles of Inflammatory and Immune Mechanisms."

The paper was written by a team of 3 scientists.

One of its members, Dr. Arthur Walters, is a true RLS pioneer. He organized the first medical advisory board for the Restless Legs Syndrome foundation (RLSF), a nationwide patient based support group organization.

You can find more info about this upcoming paper here:

http://www.rlcure.com/weinstock.html

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A very interesting paper, a lot of reading here.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

Oh my goodness, now I just posted a question about Fibro and stuff that may be to blame. Thanks for this post!

Update: Inflammation must not be my problem....I have gotten it under control with prednisone, blood test to monitor esr/crp; low carb- no caffiene and I am still having same level of RLS (exacerbated 8 months ago-(Augmented?)
Last edited by Laurachrissy on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
RLS sux

davew

re: inflammation as the primary cause of RLS

Post by davew »

Laura

There are scientific studies listed on the following website for over 50 inflammation based diseases and conditions, including fibromyalgia.

The reason I listed them all is to show people that if inflammation is at the root of Cancer, Parkinson's, Crohn's, HIV, Obesity, ADHD, Depression - and so many more conditions ... then the odds are pretty good that RLS is also inflammation based.

http://www.rlcure.com/othercond.html

Here's the entire list of inflammatory diseases/conditions:

Acne
Acromegaly
Aging
Alzheimer's
Amyloidosis
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Anemia
Aortic Valve Stenosis
Arthritis
Asthma
Ataxia
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Cancer
Celiac Disease
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Chronic Sarcoidosis
Chronic Venous Disorder
Colitis
Crohn's Disease
Cryoglobulinemia
Cystic Fibrosis
Depression
Diabetes
Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
Fibromyalgia
Heart Disease
Hodgkin Disease
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
Huntington's disease
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Kidney Disease / Renal Failure
Liver Disease
Lupus
Lyme Disease
Migraines
Multiple Sclerosis
Narcolepsy
Neuropathy
Obesity
Pancreatitis
Parkinson's
Poliomyelitis (Polio)
Pregnancy
Psoriasis
Pulmonary Hypertension
Scleroderma
Sjögren's Syndrome
Sleep Apnea
Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
Spinal Cord Conditions
Stroke
Tourette's Syndrome
Tuberculosis

There haven't been studies done on all the above conditions to determine their relationship with RLS, but a great deal of them have been tested, and in every study, the occurrence of RLS is significantly higher than the general population (which is around 10%).

http://www.rlcure.com/linked.html

Another indicator that inflammation is at the core is the fact that through the hundreds of studies I read, there is a total interchange of these inflammatory diseases. Each disease has a higher rate of having other completely (seemingly) unrelated diseases.

For instance, in studies, people with Parkinson's would show a higher rate of Crohn's or people with MS would display a higher rate of arthritis, and so on.