Ferritin

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rthom

Re: Ferritin

Post by rthom »

Well hope things look good with the hemotologist. Weird levels though eh?
Last edited by rthom on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

DEB - I have never ever heard of a ferritin level reading in the 500s. ??
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Some people with high levels, have hereditary hemochromatosis, which I don't have the symptoms. Some inflammatory conditions cause the high levels. I have severe arthritis. Alcoholics, people with liver diseases, etc can have high levels. My guess is it's my arthritis. I'm not really worried. It's been like this for years and I don't have any symptoms. It would cost a lot to go to that doctor, plus the tests. I've waited this long, I can wait until this summer. No other doctor ever said much to me and back then I didn't know what it was.

DEB

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It goes to show how broad an acceptable ferritin level can be.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I remember hearing that you shouldn't get your ferritin tested during certain illnesses, because inflammation increases the amount of ferritin circulating in the blood.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

That's why I'm not that worried about it. I can't contol the arthritis, it's all the time.

DEB