new diet

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
peanut1

Re: new diet

Post by peanut1 »

I guess my body acts backass wards with the meds. Right now, I do clonazepam on a once a week basis because my body adapts so quickly to the drug. Seems like that drug doesn't do any harm to me ie doesn't make the WED worse so I suppose could try some of the other ones like Tramadol etc. I also know that vicodin didn't do any harm, but trying to get a doctor to prescribe it is something else.

Besides many of the meds, I cannot do ANY type of grain, gluten, caffiene or excitoxins or even B supplements without it activating the WED.
As of right now, I'm having a ***** of a time with the WED. I'm doing a supplement change per my MD which ALWAYS activates the damn WED. I can go back to where I was on the supplements when the WED was much better, but the change freaks my body out. Consequently, I'm averaging 3 hours a night right now and my coping skills are less than desireable. Like when I missed the bus today (truck is in the shop) at 6:20 a.m. because I was on the wrong side of the road. I have 3 bus transfers that I need to take in order to get to work and one of them runs on the hour. I was so upset I cried and even SCREAMED because I'm using all my sick time for doc appointments and when I get really sick from not sleeping. And my vacation time as my mother is terminally ill. So 2 people came up to me and I lied and told them my daughter was dying because I didn't want them to call the police and make a scene (I don't have a child.) The one good thing came out of it was I got a ride to work,but I feel guilty for lying.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, peanut. Not a good place at all. I understand about being at the end of your tether.

I hope you get it figured out soon.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Oh gee. I could see myself doing that, I really could. I hope things have been better the last few days
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

The sleep has been awful, but it seems like I'm calmer about it, particularly after talking to the Executive Director last week and getting someone who understands and knows what she is talking about rather than all of the clueless doctors I've dealt with. I still do a high vegetable diet and have been getting treatment for candida as this causes general overall health--wether it helps with the WED or not, who knows? I do believe the high vegetable diet does help some, but as with everything else, not all of the time.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I agree: I don't think there is any scientific evidence that RLS drugs can make RLS worse. There must be another reasons (or reasons) for it to get that feeling, of which there are many, like periods of stress for instance or lowered ferritin maybe. It might even be that changing a diet can cause stress to the body and influence RLS; we just don't know. It is such a complex syndrome.

Corrie

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I agree. I'm wondering if the meds had an acidity level that triggered something or made something worse. But the med itself didn't make it worse. Whatever it was, it was already on its way. Nonetheless, my experience still makes me leery of medications.