Update on my cure

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
notnowdad

Update on my cure

Post by notnowdad »

Over a year ago I reported a complete cessation of all RLS symptoms within 3 days as a result of my following Dr. Peter d’Adamo’s blood type diet as explained in his book, Eat Right 4 Your Type. Since that time my general health has continued to improve. My previously elevated cholesterol level has returned to normal range with dramatic improvement in the ratio of “good” to “bad” cholesterol. There was a 15% rise in my testosterone level which was previously “low” for my age group. I lost 24 unwanted pounds without making an effort to reduce my food or wine intake.

In Dr. d’Adamo’s second book, Live Right 4 Your Type, he introduced the subgroups of “secretors” and “non-secretors” into each blood type. Because I was a Type A non-secretor it was suggested that I could safely consume tomatoes and chili peppers which had been proscribed in the Type A diet of the previous book. Unfortunately, eating these foods did cause a return of my RLS. Avoiding these foods gave me relief within 24 hours. It was also suggested that I should be able to tolerate spelt in place of the wheat products which I had removed from my diet. Eating spelt pasta and tortillas for several days also caused a brief return of the RLS.

It is my recommendation that anyone seeking relief from RLS through Dr. d’Adamo’s diet regimen initially follow the stricter guidelines from his first book, especially if you have type A blood. My understanding of his work is that there are two categories of foods which each blood type should avoid. Of primary importance are those foods which carry lectins which cause the particular type blood to agglutinate and become inefficient. Secondarily there are foods which are incompatible with the digestive systems of each blood type. These foods are believed to be poorly digested and assimilated. I rigidly avoid the foods which cause agglutination and this seems to be key to my success. I am a little more flexible about occasionally eating some of the foods, such as hard cheeses and olives, which type A’s assimilate poorly.

BTW, there is some stuff in Dr. d’Adamo’s books that I don’t accept. I am uneasy with some of the sweeping generalizations about people’s natures as correlated with their blood types. On the other hand, I am grateful every day for the blessing his work has been to me.

rthom

Re: Update on my cure

Post by rthom »

Wow great news for you! and thanks for sharing it.

Chipmunk

Re: Update on my cure

Post by Chipmunk »

I have that book - will have to revisit it. I am type B and I seem to recall I wasn't supposed to eat chicken and I thought, "no wonder I've never really liked chicken!" :-)
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.