Iron, leg elevation, and no caffeine after noon.

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Riles

Iron, leg elevation, and no caffeine after noon.

Post by Riles »

Skip to end for summary if you just want the results...

Last time I posted was in 2009 when I joined the forum. Since then I have 95% rid myself of rls, and therefore haven't been stuck awake in the middle of the night when I would normally log on and read everyones posts looking for answers and remedies. So I figured I'd better make one last post with my findings in hope that it will help someone else.

Nothing really new here, this is just what worked for me.

Iron vs Meds:
I told my doctor at my annual checkup about the RLS, so he tested my Iron. I tried looking for the papers with my results so I could give specific information but I couldn't find them. I remember my level was at about 60 at the time. The doctor recommended I take an over the counter iron supplement. I use "Spring Valley" Iron from Walmart. 65 mg, equivalent to 325 mg Ferrous Sulfate. Its very inexpensive.

I started taking it once a day, but after a few months there wasn't much improvement so I wen't back to the doctor. He prescribed me Requip and I gave it a shot. The first couple nights I started on the recommended mini dose, then when I went up to the next dose according to directions (not even the full dose), I got super sick. I have never been so dizzy. I spent the whole night in the fetal position on the bathroom floor. Next day I disposed of the pills, never again! After that experience I started to get a random twitch once or twice a day in my arms. This did not go away for 2 months. It is my recommendation to the average person to not take these medications unless you have a more serious medical situation causing the RLS. Find another way!

I decided to start taking the iron supplement both morning and night and continued this for the rest of the year until my next annual checkup. After a few more months went by I started to finally notice some improvement. I had my levels tested again at my next checkup and I was at a 74. I am now mostly RLS free.

Elevation and leg rub
I used to have extreme restless legs every night. I was a wreck from lack of sleep. Brain function was extremely dull during the day. Now, maybe once a month I'll have symptoms thanks to the iron supplement. When I do have symptoms, I can take care of it by elevating my legs. I've noticed that they have to be higher than the rest of my body or it doesn't work. For example, if I raise my legs slightly, but also have my head propped up on a pillow, it doesn't work. The best method for me is to lay flat on the couch and then put my legs up so my calves are lying across the top back of the couch. I'll stay like this for a half hour, then problem solved.

It is very rare now that I get really bad symptoms, maybe once every three months. When this happens, I have my wife take her thumb and gently push up the center of each leg, from heel to butt. I used to have her rub down towards the feet, but for it to be effective she had to really push hard into my legs. Sometimes this would create a sensation in the bottom of my foot that I can only describe as sparks bouncing off the floor of my foot. When she rubs upwards though, gently is sufficient, it is more effective, and results are quicker. I originally thought this was working because the leg nerve is located down the center of the leg where she was rubbing. But the effectiveness of gently rubbing upwards, and the effectiveness of elevated legs makes me wonder if this has something to do with returning / draining stagnent fluid back to the body. I don't have swollen legs or any other symptoms regarding lymph issues, and my blood circulation is fine as far as I know. I'm no doctor, I can't explain it, but I know that leg elevation above all other parts of the body, and gently pushing up the center of the leg back to the body is absolutely 100% effective now for those rare occurrences since taking Iron.

Caffeine, Benadryl, and Unisom
If I drink coffee or an energy drink after noon, I'll have leg issues at night. If I were to take Benadryl during the day for an allergy, I'll have leg issues at night. (I just use a cheap anti-histamine tab for spring allergies, works fine, no leg issues) If I take Unisom, forget about it, terrible night of sleep. The sleep aid kicks in and makes my legs act up strong enough to wake me through the medicine. Then I'm awake, but zombified, and my legs go absolutely crazy to where I'm forced to walk around like Frankenstein's monster.

The Pot
I used to smoke weed as a youth, but it really doesn't interest me anymore. However, in my extensive search for remedies, I found that marijuana worked 100% for eliminating RLS. I'm not much for smoke anymore, and happen to be a pretty good baker. So I made brownies, which were just as effective (and delicious). I don't care much for the high anymore though, and I didn't like the lowered mental capacity the next day. So this works, but in the end it is just a medicine that is masking the symptoms, instead of curing the syndrome.

Summary
An over the counter Iron Supplement solved 95% of the problem but took half a year to take effect. I have my Iron levels tested annually for safety. For the now once a month occurrence of RLS I elevate my legs for a while before bed. I don't take any sleep aids or Benadryl, and avoid caffeine after noon. Prescription medicines are for people with a more serious ailment. Pot can be a temporary solution for symptoms, but doesn't solve the problem.

RLS problem solved, sleeping great. I hope this helps someone.

ViewsAskew

Re: Iron, leg elevation, and no caffeine after noon.

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope it continues to stay at bay. Iron is great for many people - eliminates symptoms in about 20% and reduces symptoms in 40%. Always should be first thing tested!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

An excellent result. I am very pleased for you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jittery girl

Post by jittery girl »

"The Pot
I used to smoke weed as a youth, but it really doesn't interest me anymore. However, in my extensive search for remedies, I found that marijuana worked 100% for eliminating RLS. I'm not much for smoke anymore, and happen to be a pretty good baker. So I made brownies, which were just as effective (and delicious). I don't care much for the high anymore though, and I didn't like the lowered mental capacity the next day. So this works, but in the end it is just a medicine that is masking the symptoms, instead of curing the syndrome. "

Who cares if it is masking the symptoms if it works. 100%! I am finding me some seeds to grow!
"Life is a process. Your participation is required."