Tumeric- Spice used in India for pain

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
dedegb

Tumeric- Spice used in India for pain

Post by dedegb »

I am new to this board so please bear with me. I am a 67 yr old female that has had restless leg as long as I can remember. When I was growing up I took so many aspirns that I messed my stomach up can't take them any more.I would take 2 aspirns at bedtime and most of the time wake around 3:00 am hurting and take a couple more.They called it growing pains then.
I have rls/plm, neuropathy, varicose veins that cause rls, had 2 back surgeries that make the rls worse. I take quite a bit of meds. Requip XL 2mg,neurontin 1600mg,vicodin and my pain was still so bad at times that I might not sleep for 3-4 nights, just a walking zombie. One miserable night I was searching the internet for help as I had done many times. This time I found many,many sites on Turmeric a spice you probally have in your kitchen that is used in India for pain and many other health problems. The next day I went to Walgreens and bought some in capsule form. I bought a bottle of 500mg. and take 2 a day. It takes a while to get into your system but just give it time. It has made a believer out of me maybe it is just a coincidence but my legs have not hurt me, at all. I can actually do what ever I want to without pain. It has been so wonderful. It is worth a try maybe it will help you.

rthom

Re: Tumeric- Spice used in India for pain

Post by rthom »

My wife has been taking tumeric for over a year and finds it helpful for other things as well. Great news for your pain!

badnights

Post by badnights »

Trustworthy information on tumeric:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/turmeric-000277.htm

dedegb, how long have you been taking tumeric? Are you still taking your other meds as well?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

thanks that was really informative! very good and has maybe fixed a problem here. :mrgreen:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Turmeric (and other such spices, including cinnamon) also lower blood sugar levels. Definitely worth adding to your regimen. Do be careful. I took cinnamon capsules for a few months and now have continual heartburn.....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

my wife has been having really bad weak spells, she uses 4mg a day of tumeric and also cinnamon and a couple other spices (about 10 time dose) so maybe this has a part in her weak spells--(she has re-active hypoglycemia), her bp does drop as well but I suspect as this is a new ting it is being worsened by the tumeric (she's been at it well over a year)
Thanks to you both

badnights

Post by badnights »

ah ha! Glad it helped.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.