Food Sensitivities - Tomatoes and Potatoes

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
NikkiN

Food Sensitivities - Tomatoes and Potatoes

Post by NikkiN »

My RLS improved dramatically once I cut tomato and potato products out of my diet. Both are "nightshade vegetables" and the alkaloid compounds (4 different kinds) in them have been shown to trigger inflamation in arthritis patients. The steroid alkaloids have been shown to block the activity of an enzyme in nerve cells called cholintesterase. This can result in cramps and inflamation.

I was doubtful, but I tried it and after just a few days my symptoms disappeared. Of course, eating tomato and potato free isn't fun. No pizza sauce, pasta sauce, french fries, potato chips, etc. But it has been worth it.

Polar Bear

Re: Food Sensitivities - Tomatoes and Potatoes

Post by Polar Bear »

Hello NikkiN and welcome to the discussion board.
A lot of us find that certain foods will aggravate our symptoms and I vaguely recall having heard the nightshade vegetables mentioned before.... somewhere.
Have your symptoms disappeared completely and are you, or were you, on any specific medication for WED.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Re: Food Sensitivities - Tomatoes and Potatoes

Post by ViewsAskew »

How wonderful that it's helped you so much.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.