RLS is Gone! Thanks to going wheat free

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
slobizman

RLS is Gone! Thanks to going wheat free

Post by slobizman »

I had RLS nearly every night, for about decade. And now it's gone, thanks to giving up wheat. And it was not psychological, as I was not looking for this to happen.

About 4-5 months ago I read the tremendous book, "Wheat Belly." It provides the science behind why wheat is a horrific component of today's diet, being the cause of so many illnesses and obesity. So I immediately started the new health regimen of avoiding wheat. After a month of it, my wife just happened to ask me how my RLS was doing, that she hadn't been noticing my leg going off in at night. That's when I realized, hey, I have not had it for a few weeks! I was so focused on the other things going on with the no-wheat diet (weight reduction, feeling better...) that I totally didn't think about the RLS.

Well, it's been 5 months now, and it's gone. Completely. Not one episode.

I've since searched on the web and there isn't really a relationship mentioned, other than here or there--and you can find a relationship with everything if you look. So, it's really not known, or at least known much.

I urge everyone to try it. It's not easy, as wheat is in nearly everything! Incredible really how prevalent it is.

History: I'd developed RLS maybe 8-10 years ago. A couple years in to it, a neurologist put me on Klonopin (a "mild" drug, he said. Right). That worked, but caused other problems. A couple years after I began I kicked the addiction and the RLS came back.

Then, a few years after that, I tried something my physical therapist recommended, and that was wearing shoes instead of sandals. That worked for a while, but sadly it stopped working.

But the wheat thing seems to be sticking, and it's 100% effective--not one night with RLS.

ViewsAskew

Re: RLS is Gone! Thanks to going wheat free

Post by ViewsAskew »

There is no research-proven connection. And, some of us have tried wheat or gluten free, and it didn't help.

BUT
1. Some people find it does. I say count your blessings!
2. People with celiac have a 30%+ rate of RLS pre-diagnosis. Upon going gluten-free, the rate drops back to the normal RLS/WED rate.

People with celiac can't absorb nutrients and are almost always iron deficient. As the gut heals, they start absorbing and the iron goes back to normal. There is a strong relationship between iron and RLS/WED.

I hope this continues to work for you for a very long time.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.